Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sync photos to mobile is incomplete - unusable offline

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

i wonder if this can be intentionally: when I select a collection to be synced to my iPad I would expect the photos to be actually on the iPad when the sync is complete and I can view them while being offline.

However what happens is the following.

sync completes.

i open the collection on the iPad and see nothing but black tiles.

Lightroom goes back to the internet and starts loading something.

then previews start to apear one by one. I need to scroll very slowly through the collection and wait until each preview has been loaded.

thes can be quite painful on a collection with 2000 pictures.

Next I tab on a photo to view it in full screen and again, Lightroom goes back to the internet. If I'm not connected I will just see a blurry image.

lightroom seems to be only waisting storage space on the iPad for collections that I have synced.

Only when I actually select download for offline editing I downloads a version that I can view while being offline.

this sounds pretty stupid to me?

Is this intended and what is the purpose of the sync if it provides no usable content at all?

greetings

david

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is as it is intended. To change that, go to preferences on LR Mobile on your iPad ( tap the "LR" in the left hand corner, and turn on "load full resolution", which I believe is required to do editing offline. Unfortunatly this will slow things down, so I would give it a try on a small collection, not 2000 images.

I am not an expert on this, but I believe that is what Scott Kelby wrote in his book on LR Mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if you really THINK about it it is not stupid at all. Most all mobile devices have limited storage space and with the Apple products, AFAIK, that limited storage space can't be upgraded like it can on most Android devices (I have a 64GB micro SD card in my Android phone).

So if LRM was to download all your images for Editing to start with more than likely your iPad would run out of space and probably make it crash or at the least not function very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

well,what I had expected is that Lightroom downloads a smaller version just for viewing. For photos that I really wa t to edit offline it would download the full DNG. Welll, but it is what it is.

david

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Murchi wrote:

hi,

i wonder if this can be intentionally: when I select a collection to be synced to my iPad I would expect the photos to be actually on the iPad when the sync is complete and I can view them while being offline.

However what happens is the following.

sync completes.

i open the collection on the iPad and see nothing but black tiles.

Lightroom goes back to the internet and starts loading something.

then previews start to apear one by one. I need to scroll very slowly through the collection and wait until each preview has been loaded.

thes can be quite painful on a collection with 2000 pictures.

Next I tab on a photo to view it in full screen and again, Lightroom goes back to the internet. If I'm not connected I will just see a blurry image.

lightroom seems to be only waisting storage space on the iPad for collections that I have synced.

Only when I actually select download for offline editing I downloads a version that I can view while being offline.

this sounds pretty stupid to me?

Is this intended and what is the purpose of the sync if it provides no usable content at all?

greetings

david

If you want to be sure photos are available when you are offline, or just make them appear faster:

1. Set the collection to Enable Offline Editing
  2. While the device is online, allow the sync process to complete. That means keeping the app active - thanks to iOS, it can't sync for long if it isn't the active app.

I generally set every collection for offline editing.

John

PS "load full resolution" is not relevant to your problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

I feared that this was the answer.

David

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 04.12.2016 um 19:17 schrieb john beardsworth <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Sync photos to mobile is incomplete - unusable offline

created by john beardsworth in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's the problem, for now at least, of the world not being as connected as it sometimes seems. When mobile bandwidth is lightning fast and free....

Seriously, once you get used to those two steps, your reward is to be absolutely certain all the collection's photos will be fully available wherever you want.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines