• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sharpen effect increases brightness instead of sharpening

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a strange issue when applying the Sharpen effect to footage.  As I increase the slider the brightness of the image increases with no change in the sharpness.  Visually it looks the same as applying the Curves effect and pulling the white point to the left.  I've tried it in several projects, including a new blank one with the same result.  Happens on any type of layer, solids included.  I've cleared my cache, trashed preferences and checked the plugin folder to make sure there wasn't something weird happening there and it all looks fine.  No other effect seems to have a problem.  I've added some images as an example.  The Sharpen effect is applied to the bottom and set to 30.  Any ideas on why this is happening?  I'm using 14.0.1 on El Capitan.

Sharpen Issue.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

it's the probably GPU acting up. as of CC2015.3 sharpen is (optionally) a GPU accelerated effect: After Effects CC 2015.3 In-Depth: GPU-Accelerated Effects | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

check your project settings and try to turn in to CPU and not GPU for video rendering and effects

in my system both GPU and CPU are showing the same result, but your GPU is probably different (I have GTX970) so let's check if this is the case.

I would also see if this option makes any differences:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

which filter do you use

i used from menu Filter>Blur & Sharpen>Sharpen

the result as expected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be the same filter I'm using as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's the probably GPU acting up. as of CC2015.3 sharpen is (optionally) a GPU accelerated effect: After Effects CC 2015.3 In-Depth: GPU-Accelerated Effects | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

check your project settings and try to turn in to CPU and not GPU for video rendering and effects

in my system both GPU and CPU are showing the same result, but your GPU is probably different (I have GTX970) so let's check if this is the case.

I would also see if this option makes any differences:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Garret,

Did any of these responses help you? If so, please mark that one as correct.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines