• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publish Online and vector graphics

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are vector graphics converted to bitmap when using Publish Online through InDesign?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Because you're creating HTML 5, CSS and JavaScript when you using Publish Online. It's the same as when you make an EPUB. The only web vector format I know of is SVG and InDesign (currently) doesn't support SVG.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because you're creating HTML 5, CSS and JavaScript when you using Publish Online. It's the same as when you make an EPUB. The only web vector format I know of is SVG and InDesign (currently) doesn't support SVG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, Steve. That is what I figured but I wanted to confirm. It seems odd that InDesign doesn't support SVG. Oh well, we can hope!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer.

Do you know if it is in the dev pipeline for anytime soon ? 

That is really bad to see a vector logo being smashed down. I guess we'll have to turn it down to hi-res bitmap...

Have a nice day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Vector Ninja,

you replied to a thread from December 2016.

Steve's answer was the correct one back then for the InDesign versions that were available at that time.

The good news:

InDesign 2020 and 2021 do support placing SVG files.

So if you want to see vector graphics in your Publish Online project place SVG files.

But do not use "live" font information there; convert text to outlines.

If you need a print-based workflow as well best store two versions of your InDesign document.

One for print with perhaps CMYK based vector graphics in PDF or AI format.

Another one with the SVG files placed where you always have something like sRGB as color in the vector graphics.

The bad news:

InDesign 2021 is still not able to convert placed PDFs, AIs, WMFs, EPSs vector graphics to SVG when exporting to Publish Online. It is also not able to convert its own native vector objects like graphic lines and graphic frames and so on to SVG when exporting to Publish Online.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines