Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

changing color(s) over time with a multi-color imported image

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello all!

have a nagging question that maybe one of you pros could answer.

i learn by doing exercises trying to implement new effects i know nothing about. i do know how to change the color of one item in an object or image from keyframe to keyframe but what if there are multiple things in that object i want to change independently with different colors.

here's my project: i have a royalty free .eps image that i've resized in illy. it is an image of symmetrical lines done in greyscale. some are white some are light grey and some are dark grey. i want to be able to (in AE) change the white lines over time to orange and the light grey to pink etc. how is this possible.

my initial thoughts are that i need to import the different colored lines from the ONE file as separate files. then apply the effect. ok, but how is that accomplished? if the lines are already on a black bkgd then i wouldn't have to worry about keying out the bkgd color? do i make the newly imported files separate layers on a single composition and apply effects directly to those layers?

i'm sure i could hack through this and prob get it done but it'd be nice to know that i'm doing it correctly or that there isn't the one thing that could make this easy as you know what. only saying because there are ten such multi-colored line images that i have to do this to. then how to compile within a composition without having a hundred layers?

any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks in advance and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

-tim p.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would open the EPS file in illustrator and then separate each individual element that you want to animate to a separate layer. You may be able to do this easily by using the sequence of layers the man in the layer panel inside illustrator. Save the file as an illustrator file and then open it inside AE as a composition.

I have not tried it but you may be able to convert your eps layer to shape layers inside AE and get a separate shape for each element. It all depends on how the file was originally created.

if you post the file we can give you better suggestions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your reply rick?

i'm finding this is a lot over my head...but learning as i go. i know realize that i can't change colors from something that is white in an image as there is no color info or at least that's what i'm guessing. here is a jpg of one of the images i'm trying to apply effects to:lines1.jpg

what i'd like to do is change the white to a color over time. i don't know whether to separate the colors in PS as layers but won't i have the same problem with white. i mean i've done the change color effect on other images but they all had color info like a red to blue. this has me stumped. will making one of the colors (black or white) the background (solid shape in AE) make a difference?

thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Tint or Colorama to colorize the image. Depending on which you choose, there are a number of different ways to animate the colors changing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Miktoxic,

Did one of our experts' responses help solve your issue?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines