• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Render error after completed - won't open mp4 file.

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok guys so I'm having a problem rendering out a basic 30-minute clip (h264 mp4 file). After the 3 hour render the output MP4 file shows on my desktop and it says it's zero bytes and I get the following error in the log:

After Effects error: Rendering error while writing to file “/Users/username/Desktop/filename1.mp4”. You are running on a very low diskspace. Please free some disk space and try again. (-1610153453)

After Effects error: File “filename1.mp4” cannot be opened, it may be in an unsupported format. (86  ::  1)

I'm trying to render this out to my desktop and I have 50GB free on my local drive. I've successfully rendered out multiple other smaller clips (up to 30 seconds) just fine using the exact same output settings but this one has failed 3 times now...what gives?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

How are you rendering it? What version of AE do you have? Current versions of AE don't natively encode H.264 files. Well, you can kinda do it in a QuickTime container, but that is buggy and was never supported by Apple. The ideal way to do it is to send your AE composition to the Adobe Media Encoder to make your file. I'd suggest using the YouTube preset under the H.264 options in AME.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that 50GB free space isn't enough? I'm using a macbook pro and that's all I have available, seems like a lot to me considering my HDD is 256gb...and the file I'm rendering, although long (38 minutes) isn't very complicated, just an audio spectrum reacting to a mix I made on a black bg (render time of 2.5 hours total).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you rendering it? What version of AE do you have? Current versions of AE don't natively encode H.264 files. Well, you can kinda do it in a QuickTime container, but that is buggy and was never supported by Apple. The ideal way to do it is to send your AE composition to the Adobe Media Encoder to make your file. I'd suggest using the YouTube preset under the H.264 options in AME.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips. I'm running an older 10.0 version and rendered a few smaller clips using h264 but the long one wouldn't work. I did what you said though and ran it through AME with the same setting sand it outputted just fine so I'll just use that solution going forward. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hooray! I'm glad it worked.

Yeah, CS5 still had H.264 encoding in it. You've found one of the reasons it was removed in more recent versions! lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines