• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Webhelp question re standalone use

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2008 Jun 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm still using Robohelp X5. I have a question about WebHelp Pro. My client needs the same Help system for both a multi-user server version of their product and for their standalone desktop product. Can I use the same Webhelp Pro compilation for both? If I publish it to some disk location, can they then copy it to where it needs to be for their server and also onto CD for their desktop product?
Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

Are you sure WebHelp Pro is the required output and are you aware that requires RoboHelp Server installed on the server.

For locally installed help, CHMs are the correct solution. You could use webhelp (not Pro) with mark of the web applied but that was not introduced until RH6. Also links to PDFs would not work locally.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

There is nothing in the Robohelp 5x Help system that talks about RoboHelp server. It does, however, talk a lot about Roboengine, but it's not clear whether that's included, or what. I don't care about links to PDFs... what is "mark of the web"?
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sorry, RoboServer is the name for the current version. So if your client has RoboEngine, then WebHelp Pro will work, otherwise they need WebHelp.

Mark of the Web is a feature that allows the topic to be viewed locally. Google it for more.

OK now? Post back if not.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2008 Jun 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I guess I'm having trouble finding out how to get RoboEngine. The Help is very unclear about where it is andw whether I or my client would have it. Do you know if it was included with RoboHelp Office X5?

But you're right - I think my client just needs WebHelp, which would work the same both on server and standalone, I assume. In that case, we don't need to purchase or do anything special? Part of my confusion is the "publish" feature... I'm used to just creating the Help on my system and forwarding the folder (whether it be CHM or HTML help or whatever) directly to my client to integrate with their app or wherever they want to put it.

Thanks for all your patience with my questions....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 05, 2008 Jun 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Publish function was designed to "push" only the new or changed files from your local machine, where you Generated the output, to a server, where your current output is stored (and where it's scooped up by your release engineering team for inclusion with the app).

The idea was to reduce the amount of writing across potentially busy networks. You can choose to avoid the Publish function entirely, if your organization is happy with your current methods.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a separate program. Your client will/should know what they want.

Take a look at Rick Stone's article and discuss with your client.

http://www.robowizard.com/RoboWizard/NewProject.htm#MonthlyScry/082005.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, actually, there is an issue with the WebHelp I tried out. I gave my client the entire WebHelp folder to put on their server. It works fine, except if you have opened the Help browser window by clicking a context-sensitive Help button and then you navigate to a new topic within Help and then go back to the server app and click a context-sensitive Help button. The Help window comes to the forefront but the page does not refresh with the context-sensitive page - it stays on the one that you navigated to through the TOC or by clicking a link within the Help system. If you close the Help window and then click any context-sensitive Help button, the correct topic comes up perfectly. The problem behavior only happens if the Help window is already open and only if you have navigated away (within the Help system) from the topic that came up context-sensitively. I was wondering if that happens because I did not "publish" my stuff but from what you are saying, MergeThis, it doesn't sound like that would be the issue. Ideas? Could it be the way the developer is calling the Help? (Other than this issue, the WebHelp works fine.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is something the developer will have to fix. We had the same scenario and one of the developers made some changes that fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2008 Jun 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thanks for that piece of info. I will pass that on to the client. I searched the internet and this forum for something that might describe this issue but found nothing. Surely there must be others who have had this problem and posted a solution for the developers somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2008 Jun 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The code is specific to the application so our solution would be of no use to anyone else, is what I am given to understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp