Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Confused with laptop selection and does nvedia 960MX support after effect

Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm just started a company working with young people, and I need a laptop for editing some videos (short films/music videos).

I was looking at a cheap laptop to be able to run Adobe Premiere and After Effects smoothly.

I was told that this laptop would run smoothly:

Lenovo Ideapad Y700 | 15 inch Gaming Laptop  | Lenovo India

Can anyone confirm this? The graphics card is not listed on the Adobe's website but I was told it's compatible? Im new to this stuff so please help, thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects doesn't use the GPU for much, but more features are being added.

The list of GPU's on the After Effects system requirements page is only cards that have been specifically tested to work with the ray-traced renderer. That is an obsolete feature, but, if you do want to use it, you can tick the box to use "unsupported" cards in the preferences and it will work just fine.

The other GPU features in AE will be able to use that card. I'll leave it to others to discuss how it meets Premiere Pro's requirements, but I think it'd work just fine.

Make sure you get the 16 GB of RAM option. You don't want 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The single 5400 RPM drive will make it very slow for Premiere Pro.  You will want the 512 GB SSD option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peru Bob wrote:

The single 5400 RPM drive will make it very slow for Premiere Pro. You will want the 512 GB SSD option.

Same with AE. I forgot to mention that! AE's cache relies on fast disks. You definitely want an SSD for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The first thing you will have to do is get rid of the lousy 1TB 5400 rpm disk drive.  It is terribly slow,  I do not know how much the 512 GB SSD option is but it appears to be an option that would be worthwhile or you could upgrade it yourself.  I would also suggest getting a good external USB 3 SSD for editing video.  I have all my Premiere project files on a Samsung T3 portable USB 3.1 SSD and a internal SSD for the OS/Applications and it works very well and edits smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines