• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing Text in Indesign (Was Text on illustrator)

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

I'm fairly new to Illustrator and I'm having trouble with editing a text. I thought it would be simple considering I've used photoshop in the past. I'm working on a document that has been created by someone else. I am trying to edit a text that is already inserted on to the document, when I try to double click is doesn't let me. I tried editing other text in the document  by double clicking it seems to be working fine but its a specif text that doesn't allow me to edit. Whats the reason why I can only edit some text but not all text?

Thank you for you time!

Message was edited by: Barb Binder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all check if that is really text or converted to outlines. When you go into outline mode, real text stays blck.

Then check if the layer is locked.

Then check in the preferences if "Type object selection by path only" is turned on. If so, turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika,

I can't seem get into outline mode, could it be the version of InDesign that I'm currently on?

Also, there seems to be only 1 layer and it is not locked.

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem get into outline mode, could it be the version of InDesign that I'm currently on?

In Illustrator, View > Outline, but are you on InDesign? This is the Illustrator forum. Let me know and I'll move the thread, and we can answer it over there.

Adobe Illustrator CC 2017ss_004.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must of clicked illustrator by accident, I'm working on In Design. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, Shirley. But that explains why you couldn't find Outline view.

Did you already choose  Object > Unlock all on Spread?

The next scenarios are:

• The text is on a Master Page;
  • The text was converted to outlines in InDesign; or
  • the text appears as part of an image including on the InDesign page

If you aren't sure how to test any of these scenarios, come back and let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign.JPG

I couldn't figure it out, this image may or may not be helpful to you

what I circled in red is the text I cannot edit, blue check marks I can edit. I should also mention that whats bubbled red appears on every sheet, so if I edit one I have to edit all.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shirley:

That looks like it is part of the footer.

• Window > Pages
  • Double click on A-Master at the very top of the panel and see if you can change it there.
  • When you are done, double click page 1 in the pages panel to return to the body pages.

InDesign CCss_019.png

This will give you a start on understanding Master pages. If you google the topic, you will find lots of other good resources.
Learn how to use master pages in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was absolutely helpful! Thank you and Happy Holidays!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happy holidays to you, Shirley.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines