Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font problem Fixed-layout EPUB on Surface Tablet

Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I created a fixed-layout EPUB with InDesign. It works pretty well on iBooks and ADE.

I tried it on several tablets and different applications with, most of all, no success.

For iPad, it works like a charm.

I find it's working properly on any Windows tablet (or computer), in Chrome app with Readium plug-in.

BUT, my client, who had a Surface and tried it with Readium on Chrome, has problem with the fonts not displaying correctly. Why does she has a problem and I don't?

Here a link to the EPUB: Dropbox - Methotic_ Reference methodologique pour les etudes - Normand Brodeur; Diane Vincelette.epu...

Some screenshots attached.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign EPUB forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you receive any error messages / alerts when exporting the EPUB? Is the client using a fully up to date version of Readium? Are you sure you embedded the fonts? Screenshots might help us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Bob,

I didn't received any error messages alerts when exporting the EPUB.

The EPUB also pass validation (EPUB Check).

I'm not sure about the client version. I just asked.

I think I did embedded the fonts (see screenshots, here they are).

Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 11.09.16 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-07 at 11.08.54 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I missed the link to the EPUB in your original post so I just downloaded it and I see the same thing as the client. It’s a mess.

Without really seeing everything it’s hard to tell what the problem is but which font is it that is causing this? Is it an OpenType font? Have you tried a different font in its place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks a lot!.

So, I guess you've check with Surface tablet as well? Can you send me a screenshot?

The problematic fonts are .OTF

I did not want to change the font because the client want the EPUB to look the same as the print version.

Maybe the best thing to do is to outline those fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t have a Surface and I just re-loaded the file. It looks perfect in Readium but in ADE it’s a mess.

Are you sure the client is using Readium?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I am sure.

I asked someone else looks at the file on Readium/Chrome on his Surface tablet with the same fonts problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines