• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2017 Crashes when editing text

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have consistent crashes in InDesign CC 2017 when trying to edit text that has been right aligned and has a tab stop set. Creating the text box isn't a problem, and putting content in it for the first time works okay. But, when I try to edit it by selecting all of the text (it appears selecting the very first line is when the problem happens), InDesign freezes and I have to force close it and restart the program. I have tested this on another machine running InDesign CC 2015 and have not been able to duplicate the problem.

System is Windows 10, Version 1607 OS Build 14393.447 with an Intel Core i7-3635QM with 12.0 GB of ram. InDesign CC 2017 v12.0.0.81.

Thanks for the help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

I just got a chance to try the suggestion in the link Monica posted and so far so good. Unchecking both options under Type Contextual Controls inside the Advanced Type preferences appears to have fixed the freezing issue when selecting text. I haven't work in it very long, so I'll hold off on marking this resolved, but it looks promising. Thank you Monica!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for writing.

I have to investigate this issue further. So please share the following details:

1. Steps to reproduce this issue
  2. A sample file with which you are facing the issue
  3. A screen recording showing the problem you are facing.

Share with me at monsingh@adobe.com

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks in Advance

Regards,

Monica Singh

InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick response Monica. I have never done a screen recording, but I can provide you with your first two requests. Here's a step-by-step of the process the creates the problem.

1. Create a text box
  2. Set font (In my case, using Museo Slab synced from Typekit)
  3. Open the tabs dialogue
  4. Type content and insert a tab
  5. Place a right-aligned tab marker and set the alignment of the paragraph to right as well
  6. Set the leader to a period
  7. Type a couple more lines of content
  8. Leave edit mode of the text box
  9. Later, return to the text box to make an edit
  10. Select the first line and InDesign freezes

Here's a link to a file where I've experienced the above issue:  Adobe Creative Cloud

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. Please try the workaround mentioned at  Re: InDesign CC 2017 slow

Hope this will resolve you...

Thanks & Regards,

Monica Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a chance to try the suggestion in the link Monica posted and so far so good. Unchecking both options under Type Contextual Controls inside the Advanced Type preferences appears to have fixed the freezing issue when selecting text. I haven't work in it very long, so I'll hold off on marking this resolved, but it looks promising. Thank you Monica!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it worked well for me too! Problem solved as it seems now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monica.

I encountered the problem within ID CC 2017 also

Your work out has solved the problem, BUT it occurred only when going into the Table of Content.

When entering normal text frames, there was no problem.

Only when touching the TOC with the text tool.

So somehow different.

The problem with the TOC arose after having added and elaborated many more pages in the file (± 12 more pages).

The file is now 150 pages A4 and had a size of 18 MB without the links, that are not embedded.

The computer is a very fast modern workstation.

W10-x64 | 32 GB RAM | fast HDD's, 4TB en latest driver of Microsoft and anything else installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this issue! Just with the TOC. Cannot edit without getting the spinning wheel of death.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monica,

I am having the same issue as the original poster, but unfortunately turning off the Type Contextual Controls in Advanced Type does not fix the issue. Turning them off allowed me to create right-aligned tabs with a leader, but I dependably crash anytime I highlight or attempt to copy a block of text within this text block. Is there any other fix available, or do I have to wait for a bugfix (read: go back to CC 2015...)? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same issue, Indesign is not crashing though, it's just freezing each time a select a text och work with the type tool. A bit frustrating when designing a book

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great point Ayman, I should have said freeze instead of crash. And you're right, working on a large document with this issue is frustrating. There are workarounds, but if you forget and highlight text - frozen. Out of curiosity, are you experiencing freezes any time you highlight text? In my experience, the text box seems to have to have certain settings in order for it to hang/freeze.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My beachball appears each time a select a text. No matter the size of the document or type settings. I even tried an empty document and started writing a small string of text, and got the same issue.

I will try the fix Monica linked here when I'm back at the office tomorrow and see if that helps. Did you try it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tried it yet. I am away from that computer at the moment, but as soon as I return I am going to try Monica's suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I draw a frame, for instance a circle, and want to change the content to Text, indesign crashes.

Every time. Very disturbing, because I see no other way to create a circular text frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue as others when selecting text with a tab stop. Monica's fix appears to be working, but it would be nice to have these features turned on AND InDesign work. Not sure what caused the bug, but I hope they take a look at it for future updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

A solution for this issue is provided at Troubleshoot text selection issues. Please try the steps mentioned in the link.

Also, let me know of your feedback.

Thanks,

Monica Singh

InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monica, Thanks for the link. This is not fixing anything for me, and I am losing valuable work time rapidly here. Could you provide any further advice?

Thanks,

Beth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Monica and Intentionally Creative! I am working on a deadline for this week and the text tool was freezing InDesign 2017. I tried your suggestion about unchecking the 2 boxes (under Preferences>Advanced Type>Type Contextual Controls), and it worked. You made my day! I so very much appreciate your for sharing this information!

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that Karen!!

InDesign has recently pushed a new update. I would recommend you to install that it has this issue fixed. You may then work without hang even with those settings enabled.

Regards,

Monica Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica

I have the same issue, that occur in a long text. I tryed all versions of ID CC2017, including the recent. The issue remain. My job is about books e Bibles, long texts, and I solved using the ID CC2014, who works normaly.

I realized the issue since the ID CC2015. I thing it is a bug of CC2015 onwards.

Please, test the select all "Crtl a" with a long text in a ID CC2017 and then do it with ID CC2014. So you will realize the issue.

Sorry my english, I'm from South America.

Regards,

Edson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Edson,

Thanks for sharing your feedback on the behavior.

If possible please share with me a sample document with which you are facing this issue.

You can mail that to me @ monsingh@adobe.com

That would really help us to understand the issue.

Regards,

Monica Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Monica

File sent, by email, as requested.

In InDesign CC2014, when using the "Ctrl + A" shortcut, all text in the file is selected and all other ID functions work immediately.

In ID CC2017 (also in ID CC2015), when using the shortcut "Ctrl + A", the ID freezes for long seconds, in that file it was almost 3 minutes of waiting, while the other functions do not work.

I often use the "Ctrl + A" and "Ctrl + B" functions.

Regards,

Edson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the only fix for this? My InDesign crashed yet again after I set these preferences. I literally can't work on my project because InDesign won't let me make a text thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simonsstudio,

Can you please update your InDesign to latest version InDesign CC 2017.1

And try working there, it should be fine.

Please revert me on monsingh@adobe.com with a sample document, if you are still facing the issue.

Thanks

Monica Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Monica, it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines