• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which is the best GPU that works with After Effects, Premiere Pro and Mac Os?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I need to know which GPU I should buy. It will need to work together with After Effects, Premiere Pro and Mac OS!

[Moving from The Lounge​ to a more specific support forum - Moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Mac OS are you using? And what Mac are you putting this GPU in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am open to install any Mac OS, put I prefer the latest version... I am going to build a CustomMacPro.

I will use this components:

Intel Core i7 6700 4,0GHz 1151

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH

Corsair Venegeance LPX DDR4 CL16 2x16 GB

Noctua NH-D14

Corsair RM550X 550W

Samsung 850 EVO Series MZ-N5E250BW 250GB (SSD)

Samsung 850 EVO Series MZ-75E250B 250GB

Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 64MB 2TB

I am thinking of a GTX 960? (4GB)

What do you think abut that GPU?

A guy on a hackingtosh forum said that R9 290x is good....

What is the difference between a GPU with CUDA or OpenGL?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hackintosh is not an easy road, my friend! I do not envy your path ahead. I would not try it. Just out of curiosity, why are you using the Mac operating system? I mean, I understand not buying a Mac Pro from Apple, but I'd need a very compelling reason to not just build a Windows machine. For example, Adobe does not officially support their software on hackintosh.

The 960 is a decent GPU, but considering it's not the current generation, I'd try to get something like a 970 or 980 if you can (unless there's some reason they don't work with hackintoshes)..

All modern GPUs have OpenGL. Those are two very different things. Apples and Oranges. Now, if you were asking about OpenCL vs. CUDA, that's a bit more understandable. AMD cards use OpenCL and it's kind of the equivalent of NVIDIA's CUDA. But most GPU things do a lot better with CUDA than they do on OpenCL. Things like Octane, Cycles, and the like run much better on CUDA. Premiere's Mercury Playback was originally CUDA-only.

That being said, modern Mac OS's are not written for NVIDIA cards, so you might be better going with an AMD if you're dead set on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Thanks for your answer!

I have worked on Mac (for the latest 15 years) So thats why I want to continue.

I have a friend that has build 3 hackintoch and they work perfect, getting some help from him.

On tonyxmac86.com they recommend a lot of the Nivida GPUs so I guess it will work fine.

Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro (2017) supports Sierra, that's what they say on Adobes website. So I don't know what you mean? But maybe there is a problem with Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right; Adobe supports the Mac OS - no problem. They don't officially support HACKintoshes is what I was saying.

GPU driver issues, by the way, are the main source of oddities on hackintoshes that I've seen on the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should clarify: "Officially supported" and "actually do work" are two different things.

CS6 isn't "officially supported" on Sierra, but some people are running it without too much issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello I used windows for over 8 years until I got tired of updates and buying antivirus and new windows, plus blue screens and the usual performance issues. back 2013 I bought I bought a Mac since then I have been apple 100%, but I don't like the direction that apple is taking by removing USB, Card readers, memory, and Ssd, graphic card, Upgradability. I loved my old Mac Pro but it got aged very bad, I replaced with a 27" 5K iMac 2017 Which is good, but not powerful enough. I totally hate new Macs no USB ports, not card readers, only 2-4 USB C  and for everything else you need to buy stupid adaptors which cost a lot and slow and glitch the computer. The worst think is that over the years they have been constantly overpricing their products. After and eternity they upgraded the new Mac Pro but you need to be a Millionaire  to afford buy the new Mac Pro.

So I m ready to adventure into a new Frankintosh which would be my old 2007 Mac Pro chasis, new gigabyte, or Asus mother board, Intel 7 or 9, 6 to 8 cores, a list 32 gigs of ram ddr 4 fastest, a very respectful GPU, dual SSD, multiple  HDD for storage and I would be using my new 27" iMac as monitor and a secondary 27" monitor for this Frankintosh.  I m a photographer and videographer. I am very disappointed  with apple, but I really like the reliability from iOS and performance.

I m pretty sure I would be spending around $2000 - 2500 and would be as powerful enough to demolish the iMac pro with all the goodies on. And the Frankintosh would modular and could be updated to new technology with out spending millions.

Can anyone Resurrect Steve Jobs new Owners are Dooming  Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answers.

I been looking around in forums and I will go for a Nivida card. Not sure if it will be a GTX 960, 970 or 980.

But on Adobes website it says that Gpu for Mac Os is this list (for premiere pro 2017):

Mac CUDA:

• GeForce GTX 675MX
  • GeForce GTX 680
  • GeForce GTX 680MX
  • GeForce GT 750M
  • GeForce GT 755M
  • GeForce GTX 775M
  • GeForce GTX 780M
  • Quadro K5000

There the GTX 960/970/980 is not included? But it might work anyway? Is it just because they are not tested yet?

Anyway, GTX 960/970/980 is compatible with Hackingtosh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not try to use the current generation of GTX 10 series?  On my PC the GTX 1060 is faster than my GTX 970.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't think the 10 (or 1000) series works with hackintosh yet, only up to 900 series.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sure got lots of hits with googling "Hackintosh GTX1060".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hits to websites/threads with it working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I did not go that far.  Too many other thing to do, but I did build a Hackintosh once but keeping up with Apple in addition to Windows was just to much to handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's really irresponsible to recommend hardware that probably doesn't work, and then try to back it up with "google hits" without checking the search results out. seriously bad...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines