• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No image preview on Open dialog box on Windows

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview window in the "Open" dialog box on Windows is gone in Photoshop. So if I click on a PSD file (once) to preview it, there isn't one. I have to completely open the file or go digging for it in Bridge. This is a very fundamental feature that needs to return, especially for those of us that have hundreds of files to dig through. PLEASE fix this.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
680 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2012 Nov 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the comments. I've explained why this had to happen several times already.

This is not a bug, this is forced by changes in the operating systems and what we will (or won't) be allowed to do with their open/save dialogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2012 Nov 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess there are actually two separate issues: the lack of preview in the Open dialog (which, I understand is really a MS problem) but also the overall lack of icon preview of .psd files in Win 7 folder windows. The last issue is ridiculous as AFAIK the problem is just a proper codec to be installed in the OS. As third party codecs work fine for 32-bit W7, why Adobe cannot write another one that would work in both versions? Another Microsoft pitfall or what? Hey guys, we actually pay you for that, remember?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lack of an icon is also an OS issue -- we wrote a codec, found bugs in the codec API, and Microsoft has never gotten around to fixing the bugs in the API.

If you really want, you can get codec's for the PSD format -- but understand that third party codecs can still cause the "file busy or in use" problem due to the OS API bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why not to publish a codec with such a warning: solution in progress, use on your own risk (MS sucks). And in the meantime why not to press MS a bit harder? I guess it is a matter of at least three years of discussing this topic (e.g. here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...). Congrats, folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Partly because there are third party solutions, partly because we have have many more pressing matters for MS to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honest. Buy $1K app, but if you want to see your results better buy third party soft. Because we have better things to discuss with MS. Bitter, isn't it? But such small things make Adobe look arrogant in the eyes of us, customers. I use Photoshop since version 2.5 (yes, Mac Quadra 700), but last couple of years I wonder why I have to go through it over and over again. Small things, of course. But very unpleasant, like this thumbnail issue. You guys look far (and this makes your soft great) but sometimes forget to look close as well. And I agree with the others: the Bridge sucks. It is a prosthesis, not a real tool, and I refuse using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is aware that Bridge is very rarely -or never- used by designers because they see it a very ugly piece of software, so they (Adobe) wants to force Bridge on them.. the issue is: The thumbnail and users can go to h-e-ll, NOT Bridge!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2013 Jan 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I beg your pardon form my bad english...
With PS CS5, when I wanted to open a PSD file, I had a view of it in the dialog box. Is it possible again with PS CS6 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find anything!
Mini Bridge doesn't work.

minibridge_inline-9ba80cc6-0501-4524-bcb0-494cfcd893cd-758611637.png

After 20min CS6 still try to open a preview 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're going to try to use mini bridge, you may as well use the full bloated thing. Mini won't open without Bridge in the background. Really really bad product...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, never got the information...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stating to think that the whole PS 6 is a "Really really bad product... "

Luckily I had a copy of CS 5 that I can use, but it will be a loong time before I even consider buying a new version of PS after this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is pretty crazy that we cant get a simple image preview from WITHIN THE PROGRAM!
The only workaround I can think of is to manually print out each image after saving and then labeling them, collating, and combining the printed pages together into some kind of alphabetized index in a binder. We are living in the stone age adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let your OS vendor know that you feel that way.
We're just getting our application ready for their change in rules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So microsoft claims they have no idea what adobe (aka chris) is talking about. Could you point us to official MS documentation of this change so we can have it in our back pocket when we talk to them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2013 Mar 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. CS6 is just TERRIBLE. The no file preview is SO annoying and a MOJOR time waster. The crop tools is equally terrible. There are other small things which boggle my mind how they made it into the final product. Who thought these and others were a good idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So sick of not being able to view PSD thumbnails, not even from the regular "OPEN FILE" dialog in Photoshop CS6.

Besides 3rd party commercial software like Mystic Thumbs, what solutions are out there for me?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with commercial software when it's GOOD.

I happen to like the FastPictureViewer codec pack, myself.  Not only does it provide thumbnails but previews as well (i.e., it fully integrates into Explorer).  They even make an attempt at compositing multi-layer PSD files that aren't saved with Max Compatibility.

Not only can you see into .PSD files, but also raw files and pretty much every other imge type.  Plus the fact that it's commercial, supported software means that your next new camera's raw files will be supported too, when it comes out.

Thumbs.png

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figure this one out. The psd and tiff file with a thumnail are back in 2005 the ones without are newer. My guess is the problem is not with microsoft after all, its the header of the file thats broken. According to this attachment, the thumbnail is not being saved in the header any more. BTW I am using windows 7 pro.

psd thumbnail.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This displays the same in both photoshop CS6 open dialog box and windows explorer and I did not add any codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing about the thumbnails is generated or influenced directly by Photoshop in a Windows system.  There is no activity by Photoshop - no "saving a thumbnail in the header" - that has any bearing on Windows thumbnails.  They are generated purely by Explorer asking a codec to open the file and look around inside.  Explorer then may cache the result.

It's possible whatever codec you're using is only able to see into files saved with Maximize Compatibility turned on.  That setting causes a merged composite image to be saved in the PSD file. 

If you turn off Maximize Compatibility, it may STILL be that you have saved a file with a single Background layer, in which case many codecs will still generate an image, because they can understand the simple PSD file.

But in the case of a multi-layer document in a PSD file, your codec may not even attempt to composite the layers.  That's one thing I like about the FPV pack - they DO make an attempt to composite the layers, and frankly it's usually a pretty good result.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, interesting, I assumed photoshop saved a thumbnail in the header because it states so in the preferences. Must be some other app added the codec, because I didn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another vote for FPV codec. I wish I had known about it earlier. Get it, install it and get on with your work. It's only $14.95 now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for FPV Codec.  Works well and shows Corel Painter riff thumbnails too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silkrooster wrote:

Must be some other app added the codec, because I didn't.

Is it an old system?  At one time, a loooong time ago, Adobe supplied a codec but that hasn't been around for a long time.

But if you want to check, what you can do is run the free Autoruns tool from Microsoft SysInternals.  Run Autoruns, and look in the Codecs section.  There, in a a couple of sections labeled "...\Instance" you will see all the codecs you have installed.

Example:

PSDCodec..png

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate