• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make Invisible white object visible with keylines

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a white logo and want to export it to PDF. Unless I create a non printable dark background this will not be visible on the white background.

I have come across some files like this, where the white object had like a keyline preview to make it visible on screen. Is there a quick option to choose this view mode when exporting or do I have to create a non printable stroke?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you produce this PDF with a non-printing dark background or stroke, what is the purpose of the PDF of the white logo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd guess that the OP wants the white artwork saved as a PDF that he can place elsewhere against a dark background of their choice.

Are you concerned about seeing it in InDesign or in Acrobat? And did the logo originate in Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems a bizarre way of working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've worked with files that like... they are white, and intended to be placed on a dark background. That said, only directly out of Illustrator where they can be seen, and edited, in Outline view. I've never seen a transparent logo designed in InDesign. Or any logo, really, designed in InDesign.

If it's being designed in InDesign, one can redefine the default white paper to a dark color, and it won't impact the printing or the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some files are very basic and created in inDesign, and as you pointed out Barb, they need to be placed by the client on a dark background, like a T-shirt for example. Unfortunately not all my clients have Illustrator.

I used to create a separate layer as a dark background, which after exporting to PDF I set to a non printing layer.

I was hoping for something like an outline view in a PDF, but it looks like I just have to do it the hard way.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not supply it as a PNG with transparency?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Portable network graphics are suitable for web and dare I say for general office use, but I would never replace a vector based PDF with a PNG, especially if clients intend to up-scale the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately not all my clients have Illustrator.

If you have Illustrator, if you know it, and if you are the one creating the logos (that's a lot of "ifs!", you could create a PDF right out of Illustrator. The clients wouldn't ned to know how to use it, or even have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines