Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BSOD on Install Flash Player 23.0.207

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been using WPKG to roll out Flash Player & other installations in company.

WPKG will check for new available software to install during Windows Boot up.

The WPKG script I used do silent install NAPI, PAPI & ActiveX version of flash player.

Yesterday, I roll out the Flash Player updates 23.0.207 for the users,

but some of them encountered with BSOD during installation. (when the user turn on their PC today.)

Previous Version 23.0.205 didn't have this problem.

I got some minidump files on user PC, is there a place I check with Adobe Tech to analyze the crash dump?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Hi Maria,

After checking with Symantec support team, the mup.sys system component is causing the BSOD.

I tested on a machine and this hotfix seems able to fix the problem:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3015999/stop-error-0x27-occurs-when-you-try-to-move-a-folder-on-a-network-share…

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can upload files to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a document and posting the link to the uploaded files in your reply.

Flash Player doesn't interact with a system in a manner that would generate the BSOD, although it could exacerbate something else into causing the BSOD.

What Windows version is this happening on?

<edited>

What anti-virus software, if any, is installed on the impacted systems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vargas,

I uploaded the file on here: Shared Files - Acrobat.com

We are currently using Windows 7 X64/X86 Eng/Tradition Chinese.

The affected machines are running Windows 7 X64 Tradition Chinese.

Will you able to check what setup program has caused the crash?

We install the Flash Players in order like this:

install_flash_player_%PKG_MAJ_VERSION%_active_x.exe" /install

install_flash_player_%PKG_MAJ_VERSION%_plugin.exe" /install

install_flash_player_%PKG_MAJ_VERSION%_ppapi.exe" /install

Please let me know if you need more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Unfortunately, we are not able to debug with the .dmp file provided.  It may have gotten corrupt or something.  Please provide the following information:

1. What percentage of systems are impacted?
  2. Provide another crash dump from a different system. Compress/zip the file before uploading it
  3. Are the MSI's being run before the user is logged in to the system?
  4. Does the crash result in a broken Flash Player installation?
    • If unknown, please test Flash Player by navigating the three browser types (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, etc.) to https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html and click the 'Check Now' button.  What is the resulting system information?
  5. Reproduce the issue and gather a Process Monitor log file with no process filtering (may need to enable boot logging in Process Monitor).
    • Ensure the file is saved in Process Monitor's native file format.
    • The file may be very large, as such compress/zip it before uploading it.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late feedback.

I want to update you that the issue is also happening on version 24.0.0.186, which I roll out for the user last night.

1. about 4 of our 83 PC are crashed during the installation, and the last version 23 has crashed different computers.

2. I uploaded again from another PC has encountered BSOD, there are 3 crashes as the automatic reboot is set on the computers.

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

and there is a BSOD screenshot stating something about the crash

FullSizeRender.jpg

3. Yes, The WPKG package system will run the setup before the user login, the it run the exe from the server with command line: cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\flashplayer\install_flash_player_24_plugin_x.exe" /install'

We install the flash in order of: ActiveX->NPAPI->PPAPI ;the affected computer has active X version installed, corrupted NPAPI installation, PPAPI remain unupdated, it may crashed with NAPI installation.

I suspected recent deployed Symantec Endpoint Production 14 build 1904 may have caused the crash, I may raise the ticket on their support as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the additional information.  I'll forward it to the installer engineer.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi isdisdisd ,

We have reviewed the DMP files and do not see evidence in the dump files that the Flash Player installers are causing the BSOD (the screenshot shows mup.sys, Multiple UNC Provider driver, which is a Microsoft Windows driver) . The stack trace suggests that the crash is occurring at the kernel level but we’re not able to see the offending function call. This might be because Microsoft did not make the symbols publicly available for the kernel module they are running. We you open a support ticket with Microsoft to see if they can extract more detailed information from the dump files.

<edit>

There is evidence of a loaded module called “IDSvia64” in the crash log.  This is a Symantic module.  You may want to follow-up with them with regarding this.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

After checking with Symantec support team, the mup.sys system component is causing the BSOD.

I tested on a machine and this hotfix seems able to fix the problem:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3015999/stop-error-0x27-occurs-when-you-try-to-move-a-folde...

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thank you for following up on this and posting the resolution.  I have marked your post 'correct' for this issue.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines