Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble with data merge : randomly adding blank pages and not showing images

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I am creating a geeting card for the clients of my company, with the message and logo (different branch) imported by data merge (through a .txt), but I'm running into some troubles :

- When I preview the merge, I see that sometimes (seemingly at random, but quite often) there is a blank card between each filled one.

- there is only two merged images (logos) for the whole file, the same for all the cards. Sometimes they appear in the @logo field, sometimes they don't. I have no idea why the image merge only works on some of the cards as the links in the source are all the same.

Il suppose it must come from the source file, but I haven't the faintest idea of what could be the problem.

Any help would be appreciated as I am on a very thight schedule...

Thx!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have carriage return in some fields that InDesign translate as a line feed thus corrupting your data merge process.

If so, replace carriage returns by a a dummy string in the source (ex ##CR##) then Find/Change once the merge is done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are right, there were carriages return in some fields of my excel...
However, rather than changing it by dummy string I finally figured out that I could find/change all carriages returns by a single space: I selected the columns I suspectd had carriages returns, put "Alt 0 1 0" in the "Find" field, a space in the "Change", and voilà!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines