Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overlaying an object/image exactly on top identical object/image

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm trying to do the following - I have a static image that appears in video clip, and I also have that image as a separate independent file.

I want to be able to place the image EXACLTY on top of the identical image that appears on the video.

I need to do it multiple times, so doing it manually is not an option.

Is there any way I can use track motion or something like that, to make it easier?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

he actually did and we all learned something. CreativeCOW

unfortunately the link to the video is offline.

the method is quite simple: you set your before and after image close enough, precomp, and track it to fool Ae there is a shift in a moving image. then you apply to a null and attach the new image to the null and this makes the 2 images match perfectly.

there is a debate on how long and complicated/accurate the process really is compared to basic overlaying and using difference blend mode. I

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show us exactly what you want to do with screenshots so we can offer a specific workflow to your needs. This could be a couple of different scenarios so screenshota would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached.

I want to place layer 2 (which is animated) exactly on top of the character in layer 1 (which is static, but it doesn't matter for our case)

scr.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if these two layers are the exact same dimensions and the anchor point is at the default center of the layer, you can shift+parent one to the other:

1. select layer 2

2. hold shift and parent to layer 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roei, I don't understand.

Layer 1 is a simple video that doesn't have any effects or movement to it.

Layer 2 is a composition of an animation.

Both layers don't have any animation on themselves, so why will parenting do anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the shift parenting is a trick to move a layer to another layers position. after that you can remove the parenting. now I think it's more clear to me and this technique is irrelevant (but hey maybe you learned something new?). I now think I know what you are facing: you have a full video with a part recorded in it and you want to place a cropped part on top of it in a specific place.

you have to manually place the animation part over the video. you can do that with using the difference blend mode and when you see all black - this means the pixels are exactly on top of each other (if they are true identicals). after you do this once and if you need to replace layer 2 every time with a different source, you can just replace the source layer in the project panel by dragging a new source on top of it holding the alt key. this will replace layer 2 every time with a new source while keeping it's properties in the timeline. you just have to make sure all your sources are the same...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm confused. You have 2 layers in your shot. I take it that the girl is being drawn on in the top layer. The bottom layer has the hand moving around. If the camera is not moving so the image of the girl is not moving then all you have to do is set the blend mode of the top layer to difference and move it into position by hand. when the girl turns black then they are perfectly lined up. You just set the blend mode back to normal. If there is not some kind of painted background to match the movement of the hand then the hand will be under the image of the girl.

If the girl in layer 1 is not animated and the hand moves over the girl then placing layer 2 directly on top of layer 1 will not change anything because you'll still see the girl in layer 2 and the girl in layer 1 but the girl in layer 2 will be on top of the hand. If you are painting in the background so that layer 1 will block out the girl in layer 2 then you'll still have to roto the hand to make the composition work.

The right way to do this would be to have a shot with a locked down camera of the hand moving and no girl, then roto or pull a key of the hand so it's on a separate layer, then put the animated drawing of the girl in-between the hand and the girl. Having a girl already in the shot with the hand complicates things a lot.

Are you new to AE? From your description I'm not sure that you know how compositing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think both of your solutions are not exactly suitable.

Maybe I will just start with the source of what I'm doing and you can tell me how to solve the problem.

Here is the result of what I'm doing (I did this manually):

tommyherbalife - YouTube

I am using 2 tools:

1. A program to create whiteboard video. I can only draw STATIC images.

2. AE, where I have the characters animated.

After drawing a character, I am trying to replace the animated character in AE with the static character I have in the video.

The problem is that I'm creating camra movements in the first program, so after the animation in AE stops - the character is seen in the video in a static position (using the last frame of the animation). And it allows me to freely move the camera on my first software, where I have the character in a static position.

I hope that makes it more clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you want to work this way meaning different animated characters replacing their corresponding static images that are on top a full frame video (when the drawing hand is not there) in different places - then going manually is all you got and using the difference mode to carefully place it each time. it's either that or changing your workflow to something else but I have not seen whiteboard animation where it's not a static image. maybe there is a software that allows to embed an movie file on transparent instead of static...

but still there's this question you asked in the first post

Is there any way I can use track motion or something like that, to make it easier?

as I understand it, there is no movement when you replace the images so why would you need to track anything? do you mean tracking as a way to know where exactly to place an image on top of another that's not the same dimensions? that could only be done manually in my opinion and not what tracking is for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already had something in mind but I'm not sure how to implement it:

I can put both layers in one comp (layer 1 and layer 2), where the animated layer is put randomally there.

Then, I can use "camera stabilizing" or "motion track" to track the distance and scale between the static appearance (which comes first) to the animated appearache.

Then, I can use this movement somehow and paste it's reverse into the animated layer, which should bring it right onto the static layer.

But.. I'm not sure how to do that last part.

What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then, I can use "camera stabilizing" or "motion track" to track the distance and scale between the static appearance (which comes first) to the animated appearache.

tracking is only for a match moving or stabilizing a video. if you have a layer that is moving in the video and you want your animation  to move the same and scale the same as the layer in the video, you can track the video and apply the data to the animation layer. you still would have to place the animation layer in the exact same place and you do this manually. as I understand it, your problem is that you just want a layer to be placed in the exact same place on a corresponding layer that is embedded in the video when there is no movement in the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, but we can consider the offset between the static image to the animated layer as "movement", which can be tracked (it's a 1 frame movement), and then used in the opposite direction in order to place the animation layer to the correct position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but we can consider the offset between the static image to the animated layer as "movement"

I am not sure how experienced are you in tracking/stabilizing or Ae but I can't see how this is possible. if you feel you are on to something then try it and see for yourself. I think I gave you all I got in this regard if I completely understood the problem.

just in case, here are the resource files that will give you all the possibilities with tracking and stabilizing:

Tracking and stabilization motion workflows in After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects comes with motion tracking, corner pin tracking, camera tracking, stabilize motion, and Mocha AE. The right tool for the job depends entirely on the shot. More than one tool will probably do the job so the most efficient tool also depends on the shot. Sometimes the best option is to motion stabilize the shot. Motion stabilize means that you pick one or two areas of significant detail to track and stop that part of the move from moving in the frame. You then add your image and use distortion tools as necessary to fit your image to the frame, then you put the motion back in the shot and add the motion to the inserted element using a null, some expressions and parenting.

Another option is to use Camera Tracking to create a camera in AE that matches the movement of the camera in your scene. You then insert 3D elements into the scene that attach themselves to fixed geometry in the scene.

Another option is to use Mocha to track surfaces in the shot and then use that tracking information to insert other elements into the scene.

Without seeing the specific shot you are using in your project or at least having a very detailed description of the shot, it's very hard to recommend the appropriate technique.

Here are a few examples of the different types of tracking that can be used. The first uses Mocha to track the front of a TV and then inserts a video into the screen. You could just as easily insert a still image:

Here's a simple one using stabilize motion and an expression. Sorry - no audio.

You can find more information about tracking and replacing objects by typing Stabilize Motion or Track Motion, or even Replace image in the search help field at the top right corner of AE and check out the community resources. You usually get better results than using Google.

If you show us your shot we can suggest an efficient solution to your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shot will be very simple.

I'm trying to animate whiteboard characters, so it's all 2D and not too busy with details.

Any recommendation on a specific tool and approach?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guyman,

Did you solve this issue yet? Please let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

he actually did and we all learned something. CreativeCOW

unfortunately the link to the video is offline.

the method is quite simple: you set your before and after image close enough, precomp, and track it to fool Ae there is a shift in a moving image. then you apply to a null and attach the new image to the null and this makes the 2 images match perfectly.

there is a debate on how long and complicated/accurate the process really is compared to basic overlaying and using difference blend mode. I for one thing that overlaying using difference mode will take less time and be accurate enough. still it was a creative approach so kudos to OP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much, Roei!!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines