• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Sketch on iPad Pro - What was the default DPI before all these format choices were added?

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working on a project (children's book) in Adobe Sketch on iPad Pro, which is connected to my CC (Photoshop) account. I had scanned in images at high 300+ DPI and brought them into Adobe sketch to touch them up, add backgrounds, etc using apple pencil.

After a recent app update, I'm now seeing that you can choose from a number of different formats when starting a new drawing ("+" button in lower left of a project). Options are split into two main categories - Digital Illustration and Print - each with a range of different layouts and resolutions. My project is for print, and it's great that DPI is listed for some, but I'm wondering what I've been working with up to this point. In other words, what was the default format and DPI I had ben working in until this new option was added? Since it's all part of the same project, I wouldn't want to finalize and send off to the printer only to find out there are huge inconsistencies in the DPI and resolution of each page of the project. Needs to be at least 300 DPI, and I'm not sure how that converts to the px listed for digital illustration (if that's what I've been unknowingly working with to date).

Another way to get to an answer would be to check the format of my existing pages. Not sure how to do that either.

I haven't been able to find any support documentation explaining this feature, but I'm admittedly new to this. If anyone has any insight, it would be a big help.

Thanks,

T

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

T.

If you use the size he mentions (9.1 x 6.8)... yes. Make sure you're using that iPad Pro format when choosing a document.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi T.

I wanted to make sure I got this right for you so I ran your question by one of our engineers. Here's what he told me:

Drawings created on an iPad Pro before the ability to choose a size would be 2732 x 2048 pixels. This corresponds to the “iPad Pro” format, either portrait or landscape, under “Digital Illustration."

To convert between pixels and dpi/ppi use “size in pixels = size in inches times desired pixels per inch” or “size in inches = size in pixels divided by desired pixels per inch”. So, for example, the iPad Pro size is 2732 x 2048 pixels which becomes about 9.1 by 6.8 inches at 300 pixels per inch. As another example, the “Large Postcard” size is 5 x 7 inches at 300 ppi so that is 1500 x 2100 pixels.

To see the format of an existing drawing, open it and then tap the gear icon on the top right of the header bar. This opens up a “Settings” menu and the top line shows the drawing format e.g. “iPad” or “iPad Pro."

I hope that helps.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the detailed response. That makes sense. Just to confirm, I can assume that the resolution is 300 ppi/dpi and not 150?

Best,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

T.

If you use the size he mentions (9.1 x 6.8)... yes. Make sure you're using that iPad Pro format when choosing a document.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines