• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

urgently need help with where my files are

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im a professional photographer, but I do art I am not technical.

The details

1) Have a new mac book pro running macOS Sierra 10.12.1 it was brand new. I did a full back from my old Mac Book Pro.

2) Completed the back up and everything went easily to my new Mac, even LR 5.7

3) Everything is where it was on the old mac, and set up exactly the same way

4) Except all the files are missing.

5) They are there, i see the pics, but when I  open one LR tells me "The file could not be found"

6) all the files are on my new laptop as they are easily found in "files"

7) I need someone to guide me how to get my files so LR can see them/ reead them or whatever needs to happen....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Check the Folders panel.

If any of the folders are marked as missing "?" then you need to fix that before you try to fix any individually missing files.

Since you are on a Mac, you probably just need to "fix" the top-most missing folder, which will fix everything under it, since the drive name on the new Mac probably does not match the volume name on the old mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom, in the library module are you seeing question marks, exclamation points on your images? If yes, right click on either a question mark or exclamation point on an image thumbnail to locate the missing file. This will bring up a dialog box that will allow you to browse to find the missing file. It will recognize other missing files if you check that box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried that, find my missing files.. It goes to a location but not a specific folder. On every image its a ! mark on it... I went to library "find my files" this is like it doestn know where to look. Can I have phone support from adobe, I will pay ??? my producitvity is going to crap for something so simple I am just to stupid to work out.. I need it pointed out where the files are. All my jpg and NEF files are on this new laptop... BUt not in lightroom, its a folder thing or where lr is looking ??? 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Folders panel.

If any of the folders are marked as missing "?" then you need to fix that before you try to fix any individually missing files.

Since you are on a Mac, you probably just need to "fix" the top-most missing folder, which will fix everything under it, since the drive name on the new Mac probably does not match the volume name on the old mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant got all the files back, well they are not in thier own sepperate folders so I hav a little bit of work, but lr can now see the main collection,,,, thanks.. Found 1 n then it found ema ll , over 3,000 images, now to leanr more about where they are kept

Thanking you so very much

Phill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now the files are in catalogue but dont show up in LR manno its confusing… Where the files live… I cannot move files to my origninal files…to the lr folders i had created….SO the files are in the all photographs

and if yuo see the below they are empty and I cannot move files to any of these folders… At leaset I have the images back…. N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can't see any screen capture ... you  can't add screen captures by e-mail, you have to use your web browser

If you can find a photo in All Photographs, then you can find which folder they are in by right-clicking (Command-click on a Mac) on a photo and selecting Go to Folder in Library (and possibly then scroll up or down in the Folder Panel) to find the folder that is highlighted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you 'd like one-on-one personal Lightroom coaching send me your email and a good time to contact you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yahooooooo it worked... Likke wowo everything is back where it belongs..

Thank you....

Now next question, when do I buy LR 6 and why ???

But seriously I am indebted to you..

Sincerly

Phill Small

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quick answer to when and why to buy LR 6: To support newer cameras, to use new functions in 6.0 not in 5.x.

Why to subscribe to LR CC: To get new features without waiting for LR 7.0 and get Photoshop for free and sync your mobile devices with Lightroom Mobile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adding to Joe's comments... The learning materials are now better than ever... easy to follow and current. helpx.adobe.com/lightroom - take a look under the hood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines