• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New computer setup W

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have purchased a new computer at the recommendation of Jim Hess and have installed Lightroom 5 from my disc.i made a copy of. My most recent catalog on a thumb drive but when I open Lightroom it does not find the catalog. I am currently backing up all my old c drive to an external dive with the view of then coping it to my new internal drive. The catalog back up are on the old cdrive S do I need to wait until the entire process is complete?

john

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016
The c drive has the original photos as well as the catalog backups.

Backup cannot be on the same drive as the original. Backups MUST go on a different physical drive than the originals. This is not optional, this is absolutely required.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To open the catalog that is on the thumb drive, you would want to go to File->Open Catalog and then locate the catalog on the thumb drive in the dialog that displays. But the catalog will only find the images  if they are in the same location on the new hard drive. In other words, they have to be in the same folder structure and on the same drive letter or name that they were on previously. If they are not in that location then here are instructions on how to find missing photos:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-thinks-my-photos-are-missing-how-do-i-%EF%AC%81x-it/

I get the impression that I'm being blamed for some problems that you have encountered. I hope that isn't the case. One question I have is, did you make a copy of the Lightroom installation program on a disk or did you just copy the program folder to the disk? It would also be good if you would describe your new computer. How much RAM, what operating system, your  disk drive configuration, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim thanks for responding. Not at all am I blaming you in fact I am very

pleased with the previous advise you gave me and I went out and bought what

you recommended. I now have a Dell XPS with a 1TB hard drive an i7

processor with 16GB of RAM and have Windows 10. Not sure if I understand

but I purchased Lightroom 5 and dd not download from the interned and used

that disc to install on the new computer.

I have not yet transferred the information from my c drive on the old

computer as it is currently being copied to a new external drive I

purchased. I intend to then transfer to the c drive on the new computer.

The c drive has the original photos as well as the catalog backups. Maybe I

have to wait until everything is on the new C drive.

In the past I have tried to find where I can " Click Correct" without

success.

Once again thanks for the advice on the computer and I am anxiously

awaiting being able to work with it without the previous frustrations.

John

John A Bowen

S.A.R. Partners

VP Sales, Puerto Rico/ Caribbean

www.sarpartners.com <http://www.sarpartners.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The c drive has the original photos as well as the catalog backups.

Backup cannot be on the same drive as the original. Backups MUST go on a different physical drive than the originals. This is not optional, this is absolutely required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks. I import to the internal drive and make a copy to an external drive but the catalogs are being backed up to the internal drive. I now have two external drives so will if I can backup the catalogs on those drives.

clearly I have been doing it incorrectly.

john

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines