• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2017 slowdown, reason discovered

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a new simpler video showing the slow redraw problem in Adobe CC InDesign 2017, but surely this should have been picked up by testers before release, I hope software companies dont expect their customers to do the testing for them nowdays on products that are not really ready for release?

The video link below shows duplicating text boxes, grouping them and then cutting and pasting the boxes. You can see how slow it gets, if others would like to perform the same test on their machines then please go ahead and let me know if you suffered from the same slowdown.

Screen Recording - Sendvid

It's just some boxes on a page for Goodness sake, I would have laughed my head off 15 years ago if I could have looked into the future and seen layout software in 2017 drawing boxes on a page this slowly in an age of supercomputers as standard!

The computer performing the above test is getting on a bit now, but can run other software just fine.

Other software was not running -  InDesign preferences were all turned to minimum

Font managment plugins are unistalled

Advanced type functions turned off.

Typekit is off

4.1 Mac Pro upgraded to 5.1 running El Capitan

32GB ram

500GB SSD

3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Did this as well after i saw your post to see if it was just you or not.  I had the same issue.  Mine Went Horizontal and not vertical but other than the direction it redrew I had the exact same Issue.  This needs fixed.  If anyone knows of a fix please share. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, I think everyone will have this problem unless they have a 5K iMac as they can turn on the GPU setting to speed it up (now confirmed by a 5k iMac user who didn't see any slow down).

I hope Adobe don't expect us to upgrade our Macs to 5K just so we can draw a few dozen text boxes on the page without it grinding to a halt!

I can play Fallout 4 on pretty high settings with a fairly decent frame rate, but when it comes to a few text boxes on a page using InDesign 2017 my computer acts like a ZX Spectrum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure that the Info panel is closed! This makes all the difference, it is a known bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but it makes absolutely no difference, I just tried it again with all panels closed.

Have you tried the test yourself, unless you're on a 5K iMac I would guess you are going to see similar slowdown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am on a 5K 27" iMacc late 2015, radeon 4gb card. I see this only when the info panel is open...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So obviously changes have been made to the code when utilising the computers graphics card with a serious degrade on performance, unless you are using the very latest GPU's. I hope this was not intentional and just got missed during testing, cough! cough!  I cannot fathom why 40 text boxes on a page would be more GPU intensive than a modern 3D game.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

just tried to copy/paste 50 text frames grouped from page to page with InDesign CC 2017 v12.0.0.81.
Yes, I see a bit of delay, but not that much that is visible in your video.

And I noticed no difference in speed when I changed the quality of the view.
Or when using "Overprint View" or "Separation View".

I have no extra GPU features (not enough GPU RAM) with my old MacBook Pro 8,2 from late 2011 with OSX 10.10.5 and only 8 GByte of RAM.

Did you try to turn off the GPU feature in the preferences?

Just to see if it makes any differences…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GPU feature is only available to the following Macs according to Adobe.  My Screen is 27inch, 2560 x 1440, and is therefore not high enough resolution, so that feature is greyed out and unavailable. Although it is available for both Photoshop and Illustrator which is rather strange.

• iMac 4K
  • iMac 5K
  • MacBook Pro Retina
  • Mac Pro connected to a HiDPI monitor
  • Mac mini connected to a HiDPI monitor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Zoe,

Thanks!!! for reporting the issue and sharing all the relevant details.

We are now investigating this issue further.

Regards,

Monica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines