• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drop cap alignment issue

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to make my drop cap align with the first line of text- being at the top of the drop cap.. When I add more "lines" in the "drop caps and nested styles" section of paragraph formatting, it will add a few more lines of text, but still won't align to the top of the drop cap. When I look up other articles about drop caps and alignment they discuss kerning difficulties, not my issue, and all the examples I seem to find show the drop cap being aligned with the first line of text, including on the adobe "drop cap and nested styles" page!

Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 1.53.43 pm.png  Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 2.00.05 pm.png  Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 1.57.39 pm.png

The first picture is my example, with 3 lines of drop cap at size 20 pt, the second photo is same size font at 6 lines of drop cap, the third is taken from the adobe website on drop caps and nested styles. Even on that page I can't work out how to make my text start at the top of the drop cap, like they have pictures.. What am I doing wrong??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

The drop cap should start at the same point size as the rest of the text. For example, if the rest of the paragraph is 12 point text, the first letter should also be 12 point.

When you apply the Drop Cap setting, choose the number of lines you want the drop cap to drop down into the paragraph. The number of lines deep will determine the size of the drop cap.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The drop cap should start at the same point size as the rest of the text. For example, if the rest of the paragraph is 12 point text, the first letter should also be 12 point.

When you apply the Drop Cap setting, choose the number of lines you want the drop cap to drop down into the paragraph. The number of lines deep will determine the size of the drop cap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To that I would add, if you are using a character style for the drop cap make sure the size for the character style is empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm with with Scott Falkner—I think that you have a character style (perhaps nested in the paragraph style) that is overriding the size. You can edit the character style and remove the size. Then the drop cap will work as described by Barbara Ash​.

InDesign CCss_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines