• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 2017 not using all CPU when exporting H.264

Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, was curious if there was some kind of configuration I had wrong - but I expected that Premiere would use all my CPU power to export a video in H.264 - but it only seems to hit 20-25% max. Is there something I can change? I'm using the Youtube 1080p preset (I use a copy in the screen shot so it just appears at the top of the list.)

If this is normal - how could I increase the speed of my video exports for YouTube? Should I be using a format besides H.264? I thought a CPU with more cores was all I needed. From what I can tell in other threads, the GPU would only help for certain tasks (effects, resizing). I'm also using separate SSD's for the source video and export location - so I don't think disk write is the bottleneck. Any advice would be great!
ScreenShot307.jpg

ScreenShot306.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Josepha,

I'm late to the party, but I may have something to contribute to this thread.

I just did some testing on my system trying to study hardware utilization of your 60Hz H.264 output workflow:

- from HD to HD, from HD to 4k, and from 4k to 4k (timeline to output)

- using various options of cores, Hyperthreads, and single/dual CPU up to 24 threads

- exporting from Premiere Pro, Media Encoder, and both at the same time (CC 2017 versions)

- using RAM available for Adobe up to 128GB

- using an 8x Intel

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a special forum for hardware-specific discussions and processing/export speeds & such ...

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

There the folks like Bill Gehrke hang out ... and provide immense help.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the reply Neil! Although that looks like a link to a feature request form?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops ... !

Copied the wrong link.

On the Overview page there's a group of forums down the right side.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it a big file? checked for parked cores. also, 6GB/core. it seems you have 32Gb. so the most you could use is 5 cores efficiently.

this link will talk about processor and ram speeds. the reason no one can figure it out is because almost no one has 256GB ram. I haven't seen anyone here with that much! Also, some people have to make a 50GB paging file. and who does that either?

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-3-CPU-Comparison-849/#Exportin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Premiere are you using?

You have 137 processes running stealing CPU cycles and memory that is about twice as many as necessary tune your system for editing

Unfortunately it is not just cores it is cores and clock speed and there is no way to overclock your Xeon.  What processor do you have?

What motherboard do you have?

It looks like you are running Windows 7, correct?

What GPU do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

Version of Premiere: 2017.0.1    (although I've gotten similar performance with the 2015 versions)

CPU: Intel Xeon E5 2699 v3 @ 2.30GHz   (I used to use an 8-core Intel i7 5960X overclocked at 4GHz a core - and still have it around, but it performed oddly about the same)

Motherboard: Asus X99-Deluxe

GPU: Nvidia GTX 980 (but I do have a spare GTX 980ti around, and a 1080 from my gaming rig I can use as a test)

As for the tuning, I'll try eliminating all unnecessary processes on my next export today as a test. Also, as far as formats go, I create my source material by recording video footage in x264.

Also, Chris above mentions 6 gigs of ram per core - would increasing my RAM help? I never did exceed 32 gigs on any of my editing systems.

Really appreciate the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well at this time I am going to suggest you run my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) to give me some hardware performance data,  With the data you submit I will be able to see any weakness in your system,  It is a large download but it is necessary to test your hardware directly from Premiere.  Interesting I checked the submissions and I have the results from a Xeon like yours.  Also you will most likely be able to see 100 % CPU usage in one test and 100% GPU udsge in another test plus we will see your disk performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bill, so I ran all the exports as the frames requested, but when I went to run the PPPBM 10.3 VBS file, I got the following error notice:

ScreenShot308.jpg

Should I be copying this somewhere in particular to run it for Premiere 2017?

Edit: When loading it in 2017, it converts the project, I gave it a 2nd go where I rename it in a way where it retains the original project name. But still no dice, same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script cannot find the exported files.  Do not COPY and paste but CUT and paste the export files or move the script to the export location,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thank you! Submitted via the form!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Output.csv numbers are all wrong and it did not include the Premiere version number.  Are you using an old version of the benchmark?  Here are my currant numbers.

"21","60","19","250", Premiere Version:, 11.0.1.6

Here are the numbers you submitted, looks to me like a copy and paste to get ~27000 extra seconds on those 3 big ones

"27658","65","27620","27677"

Thanks for the try but I cannot get any information on your performance from these numbers.  Your configuration on the Speccy file came through fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, definitely no fiddling on figures there. I used the PPBM10.3-DE1.prproj - which looked to be the latest project file in the archive off the benchmark page. Used the download link at the top of the page for http://ppbm7.com/PPBM6-7-8-9-DE.zip .  And when I load the PPBM10.3-DE1.prproj it does have me convert it.

Going to try just doing it all over again from scratch now - bet I goofed something up.

EDIT: Wait, I'm actually probably just missing wherever the version 11 project file is right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I will have to update that download I just did it but it was not the most recent version.  I will have to get it off my desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roger that, will await the updated test file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this one is correct. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, finally re-did and submitted the benchmark with the updated files.

Numbers look normal now:

"198","78","27","196", Premiere Version:, 11.0.1.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one is very good with one exception, your configuration shows you have several SSD drives but you must have exported to one of your Hard disk drives as the first number (198) shows a write rate for that Disk I/O fest of 187 MB/second which a hard disk rate.  Had you exported to a SSD drive it would have been about 77 seconds or a write rate of about 480 MB/sec.

With that very expensive 18 core Xeon you did get an outstanding CPU intensive (MPEG@-DVD test with out GPU) of 196 seconds.

More later, have to run!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So weird, they all got exported to the same drive. Maybe another application hogged the drive at the very start. I'll try running another test to see if I can get that value to change.

But even then, is there anything else I can do to speed up h264 exports? Right now, I export 10-15 minute clips, and it takes about 10-15 minutes to export them - all while the CPU doesn't seem to hit 100%.

Thanks for the time and feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just click on the "Output Name" in the Export window and you can browse to any drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yep, that I know, it's just that I made sure they were all being exported to the same place. Don't think the script file would have found all of em' otherwise. But I'll test soon to see if I can recreate those speeds!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just think how fast your computer would be if you went from 18% per core to 100%!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the dream! Right now it takes about a minute of encoding time for every minute of footage. Would love to shave that down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also when you export the CPU intense MPEG2-DVD timeline let us know how much CPU usage it is using,  Since I cannot afford one I do not know if it will show 100% usage like it does for all the other single CPU computers that I have tested or seen results.  But with that impressive score of 196 seconds for that CPU intesive export it would have to be using a lot more than 18%.  You have the fastest single CPU intensive score I have ever recorded. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joseph,

Can you post one of your typical short projects and then PM me the location and I will run it here on my desktop which currently has a Samsung 960 Pro drive and then give you the PPBM numbers.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines