• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recording format

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Sony PXW-X70  video camera that records in either XAVC HD or AVCHD formats.  When I try to load the file from my disk to elements 14 these files are not recognized.   Are these formats that elements 14  doesn't recognize or am I doing something wrong?  Thank you for any help  that I can get.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video in those formats should not be a problem with Premiere Elements.

My practice is to copy the video files to my computer from the camera card, make a backup somewhere, start a project in Premier Elements and use the Add Media from Computer procedure.

What is your procedure?  What computer are you using?  What are the filename extensions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am taking my disk and putting it in the SD slot.  The computer  (Dell)  doesn't recognize the video files  just the clip files.  However when the disk is in the camera I can play the video back on it.  I can hook a HDMI cable to the camera and to the computer  or tv and get it  play that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a terminology based miscommunication with "disks", "cards", "files", "folders", "video files" and "video clips".  There can also be confusion with how the program Organizer is involved.   I don't think your camera has disks.  In other words, I can't figure out what you are trying to do or how you are trying to do it. 

The "video clip" files you shot in XAVC should end in ".MP4".   The "video clip" files you shot in AVCHD should end in ".mts" or ".m2ts".   The camera makes a lot of other files that are used by the camera alone.  You don't need them.  You have to find a way to get the video clip files to an organized folder structure on you computer.  Then you can use the Add Media routine in Premier Elements to combine them into a video.  It may be a challenge to mix the formats.  But, maybe not. 

There is an abbreviated 8 part series on how to use Premier Elements 14 on YouTube.  There is a more complete series on Lynda.com.  Please at least watch the free 8 part series that starts with this one:  Basic Training for Premiere Elements 14, Part 1 - YouTube

After watching that, it all may make sense.  If not, keep asking questions here.

Good luck!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should link you to all 8 parts:  Basic Training for Premiere Elements 14 - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  I'm sorry getting frustrated. Watched the basic training videos and learned a lot of information.  However, I cannot get the computer to recognize the file format.  I have plugged the camera to the computer via USB  and taken the 128 gig Class 10 sans disk out of the camera and directly into the disk slot. When I try to import media there are no .MP4 or .m2ts files.    When I play the video on the camera it shows on the screen that it is recorded in XAVC show technically I should have .MP4 files.  Why does the computer not read or see the .MP4 files

I just switched my camera to record in AVCHD and  I could download the media file to the program.  I guess my question is now should I always record using that format?  and still how do I get the several hours of XAVC media to download?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put the card into the card reader and copy all of the contents to a folder on your hard drive.  Then use Premiere Elements to import the media from that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I copied the card to the desktop  the XAVC format file is an .MXF not an .MP4.   is this my problem.   I could not find that in the supported media extensions in the premier list.  Is .MXF a new format? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

roberth78815538 wrote:

When I copied the card to the desktop the XAVC format file is an .MXF not an .MP4. is this my problem. I could not find that in the supported media extensions in the premier list. Is .MXF a new format?

I think you've found an answer.  My experience is with an XAVC-S format.  Apparently it understands .MP4.  After googling ".MXF" I see that it is a specialty of some "professional camcorders".  It is far from common and it is not clear what it is for.  I also read that it can be converted to MP4 for common editors.

Did your camera come with software that understands .MXF?

I don't, and probably never will, have any "professional" cameras, so have never dealt with .MXF files.  If it were me, I would find a way convert the .MXF files to .MP4 files.  If you want to put one on DropBox, I would have fun trying for a method.  My first attempt would be to use Handbrake. 

I don't know what benefits there are to .MXF.  It may be that AVCHD will work better for you going forward.

Good luck!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines