• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Example 1st then this---> InDesign: Creating a Poster & Process Book for Graphic Design

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, new here not sure if this is proper way to contact but I'd like to ask about indesign. I've never used adobe software other than pdf files. I'm watching my instructors video. He is setting the widths, heights, margins and I'm going along with the video but for some reason it changes. He has 2015 indesign, I have 2017 indesign. Say he sets the width to 6 inches, and height 8.25 inches I type that in and it goes to 6p0 width and 8p3 height. Also, he sets margins to 0.375 inches and clicks make all the same, mine becomes 2p3. I really don't know whats going on. PLEASE help

By the way I've been looking for Lynda.com and youtube videos how to use adobe software. This is SUPER annoying that I don't know how to do this.

Project for college:

Select typeface and create PB for Initial Questions and Research

I’ll post a list of typefaces in this discussion. You’ll need to let me know which one you’d like to use for Project One. Make sure that you have access to the font you have chosen before you reply to the post. Once a font is used by someone it will officially be off the market. Choose wisely!
Use this thread to ask your initial questions. Everyone should have at least one question.

Project Overiew:

Project One: Type Specimen Poster

Design

Design a poster that could be used to sell a specific typeface. Minimum size is 11x17, though I’d suggest using an 18x24 format.

Poster must have:

Type anatomy displayed

Example of the full alphabet, numbers and symbols

Example of the typeface used in a paragraph – you may use this to tell us about the typeface or the designer

Compare to two other typefaces - these may be typefaces that would work well (pairings) or maybe typefaces that are by the same designer.

Demonstrate how to best use this typeface.

Present the final project as:

1. A flat image (PDF of your InDesign file)

2. In context/mockup - that means you’ll need to print this. More on that in the process video.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlike your other posting, this is an InDesign question. You need to learn how to set the units for your document. To do so, make your ruler visible (View > Show Ruler). Right-click or Control-click on the ruler and choose your preferred units—inches, picas, millimeters, etc.

To set a default for a future document, set the options when no document is open. Preferences > Units and Increments.

I'd assume that an instructor would have covered this in class, or provided this information is assigned readings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no the college I go to took instructing us on adobe away. they tell us use Lynda.com. its hard to find specific videos to help me with these assignments. I'm trying to find videos on how to do process books and posters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a simple introductory InDesign course for beginners. You can access more advanced Lynda courses after this:

Getting Started with InDesign such as: Designing a Poster

And, of course, ask specific questions on this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Say he sets the width to 6 inches, and height 8.25 inches I type that in and it goes to 6p0 width and 8p3 height. Also, he sets margins to 0.375 inches and clicks make all the same, mine becomes 2p3. I really don't know whats going on. PLEASE help.

To address this specific question—InDesign defaults to measuring in picas and points. When you type in a number like "6", you are assuming inches but InDesign is assuming picas and displays the number 6 as 6p0 (6 picas, 0 points).

As per Steve's response: close all the open documents. Go to InDesign > Preferences > Units and Increments (on Windows it is Edit > Preferences > Units and Increments) and change the default to inches.

InDesign CCss_005.png

Pick OK, and make a new document. From now on, InDesign will default to inches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines