Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pages suddenly went blank

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So frustrating - !!!

I can see all of the content in the Pages sidebar, but nothing appears on the actual pages.

Any ideas? I'm using InDesign CC

Screenshot 2016-12-07 00.58.33.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I request you to try restoring your InDesign preferences.

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

let me know if this solves your issue.

Regards,

Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble getting this method to work.

Trying the quick method, but there is no dialog box appearing to reset the prefs. I must be too late?

Thanks for the suggestion - will keep this in mind.

- E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the trick, emmietsumura​:

• Place the fingers of one hand over the three keys so that you are ready to go
  • As soon as you start InDesign, press and hold the keys until you see the Reset Prefs message
  • Then you can let go and click on OK.

It often takes my students about 3 three tries to get the timing right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi emmietsumura,

Did the above trick work for you? And if not, can you try the other method for deleting the preferences and let us know if it solved your problem.

Regards,

Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for checking back - BarbBinder​ amaarora​

So this happened again, and was able to reset the prefs. However, it didn't seem to affect the pages, some of which are blank, and some missing all together. I'll see if I can figure out the other method.

unspecified.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, maybe it's this one document? How about

Troubleshooting 101: Export to .idml or .inx to clear file corruption

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder​ Update: Thank you so much for this link. I upgraded to the 2017 version last night and it wouldn't open(application not responding) or getting unexpected crash reports until about 30 minutes ago. Once it finally stayed open long enough for me to resave as an .idml file, it seems to be working again(fingers crossed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emmie,

Thanks for reporting the issue.

At first, Please check if the text frames are actually there on the pages, or complete text frames are lost?

To confirm this go to Layers panel. Look for the missing text frame in the corresponding layer.

If the text frame is there, using square at the end of the row of the text frame in layers panel, select the hidden frame. Press Cmd/ctrl+Y, add/delete any character from the existing story. Text frame should reappear.

If the Entire Text frames are lost, i need to investigate the issue further. Please share you document(previous version) with me @ monsingh@adobe.com

Thanks,
Monica Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I've tried recreating the files and it keeps happening. Now I've made the fatal error of upgrading to InDesign CC 2017, and the program crashes immediately after opening. InDesign is unusable on both my laptop and desktop. I can't believe I am paying for this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any other software that you recommend I try as a workaround for a simple 36 page booklet? I can't waste any more time fussing around trying to open InDesign CC 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me and I right clicked on the file to select version history to restore the file to some few hours before I lost the pages and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @samoboh ,

what also could work in this situation:

Export the document to IDML, open the IDML file as document in InDesign, save to a new name.

Trashing InDesign Cache and/or Preferences will not mend a broken document.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines