• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2017 doesn't auto-rotate to portrait with Surface Book

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign doesn't auto-rotate with the Surface Book when I move the screen from landscape to tablet mode. However, Photoshop auto-rotates. Is there a setting in InDesign that needs to be changed? I would find working in portrait mode very useful, especially in touch mode, which I use a lot with the Surface Book's pen.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not in InDesign.

From the Microsoft site.

Microsoft Surface screen rotation help | Troubleshoot auto-rotation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. However, every other app rotates correctly, even Windows. It's just InDesign that stays in landscape mode no matter what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I see that it doesn't work on my Surface, either, but it does switch to the touch workspace automatically when rotated 90Ë™.

There is not a command within InDesign that controls this—if you think it's a within Indesign bug, you can report it to Adobe here:

Wishform - Adobe InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign doesn't switch to the touch interface automatically when I rotate 90 degrees with my Surface Book. But even if it did, I don't see the point because you'd be in touch mode but the workspace would be sideways.

I've logged a bug with Adobe. Working in touch/pen mode in portrait would be a huge feature for me. I hope they fix this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on our Microsoft Surface Book. Of all the apps, I would think InDesign would benefit most from running in portrait mode since we're often working on standard portrait layouts. It's also odd that when switching to InDesign from other apps, the entire Windows OS changes back to landscape mode--hopefully it's a quick and easy fix for Adobe--like an OS flag that is set to tell Windows that it MUST be in landscape mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to dash your hopes, but after NoNameDesigner 's question, I asked the engineering team about this, and it's intentional and they have no plans to change it.

If you'd like to see this change, I'd encourage both of you to log a feature request: Wishform - Adobe InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t have a Surface but if I did, under no circumstance would I want the workspace to auto-rotate. I can’t imagine why anyone would.

Tilt the tablet just a bit too much and whatever you’re working on would jump all over the place.

No thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t have a Surface but if I did, under no circumstance would I want the workspace to auto-rotate. I can’t imagine why anyone would.

I do have a Surface Pro that I travel with, and have never had to urge to rotate it—I need the space for the panels. And that's exactly what I heard from Adobe, as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be nice to have an 8.5x11 book or brochure appear as large as possible on the screen. Many people collapse panels anyway. Perhaps it need not auto-rotate for everyone, but there should be a preference to allow it to auto-rotate for those who wish it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I'd encourage you to log a feature request to let Adobe know what you are hoping for.  Wishform - Adobe InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already done that (as a bug report), but didn't mention that in this thread. We'll see if Adobe agrees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for logging these. I'm running indesign in SP3.

Indesign 2014 rotates in portrait mode but isn't optimised for windows 10, so everything looks painfully small

2015, 2016 and 2017 all have the issue of not turning in portrait mode. Such a shame. So of my work is portrait format.

I've logged it on the wish list as a bug: Wishform - Adobe InDesign

Maybe if we all gave it a surge of complaints it might help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just now found out about this after trying this myself. I am so angry that this isn't working. I would say they need to implement it, however, I know this is an intention software imposition as the program rotates the Windows workspace of its own volition as opposed to just the InDesign program. 

So to some extent, it means the engineers wanted this to happen this way, directly. -.-

Which with a touch enabled device, why would you do that? ><

I hope this gets fixed soon. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Be sure to enter this on the wishlist form: Wishform - Adobe InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines