• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scripts for glossary entries?

Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a document with a glossary, there are two labor-intensive but very repetitive tasks:

1) Making the word (in the glossary) as an anchor (= the word or term), so it can be the target of a hyperlink elsewhere in the text.

2) Finding instance of each glossary word in the main text and applying a hyperlink to it.

Since these are highly repetitive tasks, has anyone developed a script or scripts?

[CC 2017]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It's a glossary!

Could you show a page?

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a glossary page. The word or term has a nested character style and is demarcated by the space followed by en dash. (The definitions, obviously, are minimal, for school students.)

Online, I can make the definition pop up if the user hovers over the word in the text, or link to the glossary page.

glossary page.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

What final use?

When you click on the word in the current text, you want to have a pop-up? …

or do you want to jump to the concerned glossary page?

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This document will be published as a PDF.  (A few will probably print it, but that's not the intent.) It is not necessary to have a popup text when a user hovers on the word, but it would be a plus — if easy to do.

The same text & images will be used online, but pagination and some other formatting elements are too different to do it as an export from ID.

I should have said that a tech colleague says it's easy to have a pop-up definition on the website, but I don't know that myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops — I talked about 'hovering' but you asked about clicking on a word in the text. Same basic answer —a popup could be a plus — but I was planning on it taking the user to the correct place in the glossary section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Last comment: Do you work on a single ID file or a book with several ID files?

[Have you already found a way to fix your issue?]

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am the only person working on this file during this phase of the project. I may turn it over to someone else next month.

I don't have any way to create all the anchors and hyperlinks efficiently; I think I could create a script or two to do it, but I've never scripted InDesign before — I was hoping someone had already done a script or scripts that would only require a little modification to use on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Peter,

As I see on the screenshot [post#2], the page shown covers letters "E" to "O", that means 11 letters on 26!!

Is the glossary only running on 3 pages with ~ 80-90 entries! If we suppose 3-5 links per entry, we have a 240-450 range!

Manually doable!? 1-2 work days (working cool! and not too fast to avoid errors) 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines