• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cellstyles are not being applied, when creating a table or applying the tablestyle.

Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Indesign-Friends,

I set up some custom tablestyles, containing some custom cellstyles for header and footer rows, left and right columns, and body rows. Those Cellstyles again, contain different formatstyles.

However, whenever i create a new table, with the selected tablestyle, or apply the tablestyle to a existing table, the cellstyles are not being applied :/...

I can't seem to solve that riddle...

Any idea where the mistake could be?

I'm happy to provide screenshots if necessary.

Best regards,

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

In my experience, it's overrides. Try this on one table:

1. Save the file
  2. Select the entire table and remove all the overrides:
    1. Alt/Opt click on [Basic Table] in the Table Styles panel
    2. Alt/Opt click on [None] in Cell Styles panel
    3. Alt/Opt click on [Basic Paragraph] in the Paragraphs Styles panel
    4. Optionally, Alt/Opt click on [None] in the Character Styles panel
  3. Then try assigning the table style

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, ID table styles still are somewhat... clumsy.

You may find (or not) some useful insights here and here, and similar places, but don't expect miracles...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uff...just read through it...that sounds really frustrating.

Thank you anyways winterm​!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience, it's overrides. Try this on one table:

1. Save the file
  2. Select the entire table and remove all the overrides:
    1. Alt/Opt click on [Basic Table] in the Table Styles panel
    2. Alt/Opt click on [None] in Cell Styles panel
    3. Alt/Opt click on [Basic Paragraph] in the Paragraphs Styles panel
    4. Optionally, Alt/Opt click on [None] in the Character Styles panel
  3. Then try assigning the table style

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news, Paul!

Here's one more tip—when I'm in a table-intensive workflow, I have a workspace set up to make that sequence quick and easy. I call it Table Focus, and it puts all those panels front and center. The feature you are using is an important one for table-intensive documents. When set up correctly, you can format an entire table with one click on the table style (because of the nesting potential—table styles calling in cell styles, cell styles calling in para styles, paras styles calling in GREP and character styles.) In long doc layout, this is the difference between having evenings and weekends free, or not!

InDesign CCss_007.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BarbBinder, Great Tip. Thank you!

However, it doesn't seem like it is working perfectly fine.

It seem like your approach works with new created tables. That already helps a lot.

But with already existing tables (via import from a word document) it unfortunately doesn't :/...

Especially the Header cells are not getting transformed into the correct cell style.

I can't seem to figure out why this is happening.

Best regards,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My tables come in from Word, with overrides, which is how I know how to take them off!

Can you show the General view of your Table Styles and Cell Styles panels? Use the outlined button in the chat toolbar.
JIVE Add screen shot to reply.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this is what you are asking for?

And that it helps, even though it is german :/...

But in any case, i did set it up, exactly like you showed in your screenshot.

Table style panel at the bottom - then cell styles, character styles and paragraph styles.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-11 um 17.55.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first question is did you select the entire table (Ctrl Alt A/Cmd Opt A) before Alt/Option clicking on the top row of each of those four panels? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i did.

I just tried to post a Screenshot as proof, but for some reason it got rejected.

However, yes i did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Barb, that's all true and fine (in terms it's possible to make use of them), however, I still think InDesign's Table Styles are pretty unfriendly to user. In the days CS (ID 3.0) was young I had the opportunity to use Woodwing Smart Styles. Excellent plugin, especially useful for tables. Pricey, though... Native ID Table Styles still come nowhere near.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used that plug-in, but I do use this technique successfully, and have for years. Not saying it not worth looking at, of course, just that I haven't yet had a need to look elsewhere. (And that's why I'm not walking away in defeat, quite yet!)

So Paul: that screen shot looks perfect. May I see the general settings of Kopfzeile feat & zentriert? For example:

InDesign CCss_015.png

And so as not to waste your time, did you see the technique in the post for importing unformatted tables? (Link above)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Yes i did see the technique and already tried (even though i'm trying to avoid importing the unformatted text). Surprisingly, the same problem occurs!

Attached is the requested Screenshot:

(Just in case it is important: I'm workind in a book (just as learned yesterday ) with several documents.)

Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-11 um 18.44.53.png

Already thank you in advance and for the help here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you would be laughing as you watched me use google translate on each word... I don't see an issue here. So cycling back to the beginning... this format does work on a new table? One that originates in InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ohh...I'm sorry! Actually, I tried to change the language for the purpose of the screenshot. But i couldn't figure that out either - so i just went ahead with the german...

Anyways. Yes, it works on a new table, one that originates in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's OK. It made me laugh, anyway!

So it has to be overrides. Something is hanging on and overriding the styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb, i might have just found the issue!

After i selected the entire table, i right clicked onto it and therewith opened the popup menu. There i opened the table option and clicked on "set up table". (I'm just assuming the menu translations here... might actually be called different)

In the Panel "Table Options" that pops up, i noticed that even though, the right table style is selected and all the settings are correct, it doesn't show that it contains a Header Row (see Screenshot). This even is the case, if i manually select the first row and apply the Header Row cell style onto it!

Therefore it obviously doesn't apply the table style correctly...

Seems like a bug to me...

Or do you reckon there to be a user mistake anywhere?

Anyway, so my approach now is to do everything as already talked about,

than in addition manually adjust the Header Row Setting for each table, than copy and paste the contents of the "old" first Row, into this new Header Row. (It unfortunately doesn't overwrite the "old" header Row, but instead adds a new header Row)

Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-11 um 19.54.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AHA! InDesign can't assign the heading row style unless you have first designated it as an official heading row, either in Word prior to export or by highlighting and right+clicking the row(s) in InDesign. was that the issue?

In both screen shots, the first row is highlighted, and I right+clicked over it.

In this shot, because the first row is already a heading row, this one shows Convert to Body Rows.

InDesign CCss_016.png

In this one, the top row is a body row (note how it lost its cell and ¶ formatting), so the same command reads Convert to Header Rows. Once I re-convert it to a heading row it picks up the cell and ¶ formatting as in the shot above.

InDesign CCss_017.png

More on the topic:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-header-rows/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it!!!

Thank you again! Team Effort

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi together,

If one wants to clear overrides there is a script written by Marc Autret that is working with a selected table and can do clearing in different levels.

** IMPORTANT NOTE **

The script that I linked to below was written before the introduction of graphic cells with InDesign CC 2015.
I did not test it with InDesign CC 2015 or CC 2017.

// LEVEL 0  => only clear overrides relative to *defined* style attrs

// LEVEL 1  => clear all overrides (through root style)

// LEVEL 2  => clear all overrides and apply [None]

// LEVEL 3  => apply [None] *in depth* (i.e. release all attributes)

See his post at the InDesign Scripting forum:

6. Re: How to break link to cell/table style in a selection

Marc Autret Dec 15, 2013 (in response to Uwe Laubender)

https://forums.adobe.com/message/5931169#5931169

Marc's blog post about this can be read here:

Breaking Link to Cell/Table Style in the Selection

Marc Autret June 19, 2014

Indiscripts :: InDesign Scripting Forum Roundup #6

How to work with ExtendScript scripts in InDesign:

Installing a "script"

Marc Autret

http://www.indiscripts.com/pages/help#hd0sb2

Hope, this is of help.

A note on Woodwing's plug-in SmartStyles mentioned above:
I found it very useful when working with it some years ago in InDesign CS5 doing a lot of table works for a client.

SmartStyles is also available for InDesign CC 2017:

Smart Styles - Adobe InDesign plugin | WoodWing Software

And I think it's not that costly if you are working with a lot of tables.

Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just remembered that I wrote a post on this topic a few years ago—the info is still current, however:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-tables-that-wont-accept-table-and-cell-styles/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines