• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting RTF – WTF with images?

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to export the publication as RTF to convert it to FB2 eBook format.

When exporting to RTF, InDesign is resizing images—and in a certain way. Okay, I thought: then I will just prepare all pictures of the maximum possible width×height.

But these parameters are not described anywhere—there are no RTF export options, neither in the interface nor in the scripting guide.

Okay, I thought: it’s easy to learn empirically. But not all so simple! Picture e.g. of 600×600 px decreases to 500×500, but 400×700 remains intact! And there is no difference with file formats (PNG, TIF, JPG) or actual/effective dpi or linked/embedded or frame size.

As I found empirically, InDesign resizes image if its area (sic!) is slightly less than 350’000 pixels (speaking only about RGB images)—1000×349 remains invariable, but 1000×350 is resized—and guess how?

The image resolution is assumed to be 72 dpi and then decreases in quite peculiar way in increments of 18 dpi: 54 dpi, 36 dpi, 18 dpi…

So 1000×350 px (≈14″×5″@72 dpi) becomes 750×263 px: ≈14″×5″@54 dpi. What a weird s**t!

Is there anyone who can explain how exactly this amazing export module in InDesign is working?

(InDesign CS6–CC2017)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's a FB2 eBook format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an XML-based format for Fiction Books and it's very popular in Russia. RTF with images can be converted to FB2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's really supported in InDesign. Here's a previous thread which says the only way is by scripting:

Indesign Export to RTF - with Images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RTF with images can be converted to FB2

It looks like there are converters that will convert PDF to FB2.

PDF to FB2 | Zamzar - Free online file conversion

InDesign gives you complete control of image resolution when you export to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyone who can explain how exactly this amazing export module in InDesign is working?

You are right there is no support for RTF exports in ID.

It seems like you are trying to export a document, but you did not mention to what format—JPEG, PDF, ePUB, etc.

If your export is to ePub the image resolution would depend on the image's output dimensions relative to the page. So in this example the selected image's frame is set to 4"x3" on the page, which you can see in the Transform panel when the rulers are set to inches. If I set the Conversion Settings' Resolution to 150ppi, the exported image asset will be 600x450 pixels ((4x150) x (3x150))

Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 2.19.19 PM.png

If I unzip the ePub the image info shows the export at the expected 600x450 pixels:

Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 2.20.46 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Rob, I'm trying to export my document (more specifically, a story) to RTF–Rich Text Format.

There is a native export to RTF with inline images. But this export format is visible in drop-down menu only when your cursor is put in text.
Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right I had forgotten about that. Have you looked at PDF conversions? Seems like that would provide more control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for suggestion. Yes, I have carefully studied the possible conversion workflows.

Conversion from PDF is a mess for text and styles.

There are also converters epub→fb2, but RTF is most convenient way—it can be cleaned up, style mapped, neatly prepared and converted to FB2 in OpenOffice/LibreOffice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Игорь, а зачем ты так делаешь? Что тебе мешает делать экспорт в epub из индизайна? Этот формат также понимают все мобильные ридеры. В конце концов ты можешь найти как сделать экспорт из ипаба в фб2, чем использовать старый формат rtf.

Why do you do this? Just use epub file format direct export from ID.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

А я так и не делаю, потому что плохо получается. Просто любопытно, может кто-нибудь из сотрудников Adobe знает, как работает их software.

FB2 нужен заказчику, чтобы был доступен наравне с EPUB. Ну я, в общем-то, из EPUB'а его и получаю, конвертируя с помощью Calibre.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you doing your post-RTF-export research? Is it in Word?

There are also converters epub→fb2, but RTF is most convenient way—it can be cleaned up, style mapped, neatly prepared and converted to FB2 in OpenOffice/LibreOffice.

I used RTF export from ID on a daily basis for many years, but routinely deleted all inline images before export. I even have a script for it. Similarly, I can imagine a series of scripts that could do what you want - a Javascript which removes your images from your InDesign story and puts in a numbered placeholder for each image, and then a VB script that, when you open the RTF in Word, turns around re-inserts your images. (Or replace VBA and Word with OpenOffice and, um, Javascript? Python? I've never done any scripting in OpenOffice.) However, that's just a workaround, only because I know that handling inline image data in RTF can be funky across a variety of applications.

Просто любопытно, может кто-нибудь из сотрудников Adobe знает, как работает их software.

I laughed out loud. There are no Adobe employees in this thread, by the way. Somebody at Adobe, I am sure, remembers how the RTF export filter works, but I doubt it's seen much new development in the last few years. If you are a CC subscriber then you could start a support case to see if this can be addressed in some way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you doing your post-RTF-export research? Is it in Word?

LibreOffice and OpenOffice allow you to save embedded images.

a series of scripts

Alas, it is a solution of incommensurate complexity for my skills.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Igor,

maybe this is of interest for you:

http://indesignsecrets.com/press-release-wordsflow-2-0-supports-workflow-indesign-cs5-cc2014.php

Don't know how reliable Word can support the FB2 workflow with its docx or rtf format.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ты сам ответил на свой вопрос. Продолжай дальше экспорт в fb2 из epub.

Do it as you do "epub to fb2", and forget about rtf. RTF need it is only for text export.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines