Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When i import photos, lightroom creates multiple folders for each photo

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there,

I didn't have this problem when first imported my photos for the first time. Firstly, all of my photos are in a single folder, when i go through the steps to import into Lightroom, in the destination folder to import to on the right hand side panel, Lightroom creates folders based on "year photo taken" then in a subfolder it creates folder within, with a number value. i.e 2013,01,07,photo. But if you click on "2013", Then "01 folder" will show up, click on that "07" will show up with the photos that i am trying to view.

It becomes very hard to organise my photos once Lightroom has done this process. When i initially downloaded Lightroom and imported my photos, this never happened. This is my old import sequence "2013 click, 2013-12-12 click. instead i get 2013 click, 01 click, 07 click, photo click.

I really need help, I have tried many a route to get around this.

Many thanks, Logan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Change the date format in the import destination to "2016/2016-12-11" to get back to your desired folder format.

In my list of options this is the 2nd one from the top, your current choice "2016/12/11" which is the 7th option.

The / character in the options represents a folder level break for each option.

-BH

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the settings in the Import dialog, Destination panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are importing 1374 images. Are these images already on a hard drive connected to your computer? If they are you shouldn't have the Move option selected at the top of the dialog window. You should use the Add option.

Since you selected the Move option you also have the option to Rename Files during the move.

In all honesty LR, although it can do certain File Management tasks Okay, isn't the thing you should be using to move images from one hard drive to another and IMHO certainly not during the import process. In your case if you want to move images to some other hard drive than where they are now stored you should do that with the File Manager for the OS you are using. In your case Finder. Then use LR to import those images into the catalog using the Add option to include them in the LR catalog file and leave them where you have them stored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the date format in the import destination to "2016/2016-12-11" to get back to your desired folder format.

In my list of options this is the 2nd one from the top, your current choice "2016/12/11" which is the 7th option.

The / character in the options represents a folder level break for each option.

-BH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks BH,

I just played around with the date formats and that seemed to fix the problem. Oops!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines