Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign EPS, PPI and Visitor

Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I read all these threads I could find about InDesign and EPS files and that you can only get PPI value using preflight.

However I would like to ask whether you think this concept is viable:

How about using a class based on IVisitorHelper to obtain some value from the Preflight info panel? In this case the effective PPI value for an EPS image.

I thought about adding an add-in in the resource file to the kImageResolutionRuleBoss, but it appears that it does not support the IVisitorHelper interface.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid that EPS is out-of-date and is not recommended. It doesn't support transparency nor support color management well. If the file is vector from Illustrator, save as an AI file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a Photoshop EPS file.

Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no reason to save as a Photoshop EPS file that can be accomplished better with another format, usually Photoshop PSD or Photoshop PDF (for vectors).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, but we got this file from a client...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPS files are containers for text, vector and multiple images of mixed resolutions. It isn't even meaningful to talk of ppi for an EPS file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can save an image out of Photoshop as an EPS and unlike other image formats the links panel doesn't return resolution info. Even with EPS, PDF or AI files from Illustrator, InDesign's preflight will check images inside of the file and return resolution info. I think the reason the Links panel doesn't deal with res in EPS/AI/PDF files is they could potentially have hundreds of images inside at varying resolutions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about using a class based on IVisitorHelper to obtain some value from the Preflight info panel?

Are you trying to script the preflighting? Have you looked at PreflightProcess in the InDesign javascript API? aggregatedResults returns an array of error details, so you should be able to build a temporary rule, get the error info details, and delete the rule.

InDesign ExtendScript API PreflightProcess

Obviously there's no reason to use EPS files anymore and a few reasons to avoid them. So a better script might be to change the format of placed EPS images and then you would have the res info in the links panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, but my plugin is a C++ plugin based on the ID SDK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should post in the SDK forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines