• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble importing from Toon Boom Harmony

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a web series and have been using Toon Boom Harmony Essentials to create characters, backgrounds, and items, I have never animated before in my life so please make your answer understandable to a noob lol. I was planning on exporting the files to Adobe AE for the animation process, but can't quite figure out how to properly do this... I tried reading other threads and topics and read some stuff about alphachannels, rendering as an animation and then checking "keyframe - all", and something about checking "millions of colors +" as an output option all in Toon Boom Harmony, but for the life of me cant find the option for any of these to even test them. The farthest I have gotten is exporting the file from Toon Boom Harmony as a PNG/TIF and then importing to AE, but then it only shows up as one layer and acts as an image instead of me being able to move around the arms and such indivudually.  So please, how do I export from Toon Boom Harmony and get my drawings to stay in seperate layers?!  Any and all advice is very much appreciated as I need to get this done ASAP, TIA!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016
The thread suggests that I export them with an alphachannel, could you please explain?  Where would i begin looking to find that option?  I couldnt find it after doing a good amount of looking and can only think that i must need a different plan.

export with an alpha channel means that if you export an image that has transparency, you will have another channel with the transparency information. this way if you export an character, you will be able to see it on transparent background in a software

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is more of a  toon boom question really: export to after effects | Toon Boom Forums , CGTalk - ToonBoom to After Effects. common sense suggests that if you animated your layers in toon boom then it's where you should animate, and you can only export your animation on transparent background but it will be an animated movie and that's it. no keyframes, only a rendered movie. not even Adobe's very own vector animation tool called Animate can export the keyframes to Ae. different software so there is a limit to how you can combine your animation....

you can use Ae for the compositing phase meaning import different layers. in whatever software you are in, export just one layer at a time and import to Ae, now in Ae you can composite it: matching looks and appearance, adding effects, same as you do with video or 3d compositing work in Ae.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roei Tzoref wrote:

this is more of a toon boom question really: export to after effects | Toon Boom Forums , CGTalk - ToonBoom to After Effects.

wasnt getting any responses on their forums.  The thread suggests that I export them with an alphachannel, could you please explain?  Where would i begin looking to find that option?  I couldnt find it after doing a good amount of looking and can only think that i must need a different plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The thread suggests that I export them with an alphachannel, could you please explain?  Where would i begin looking to find that option?  I couldnt find it after doing a good amount of looking and can only think that i must need a different plan.

export with an alpha channel means that if you export an image that has transparency, you will have another channel with the transparency information. this way if you export an character, you will be able to see it on transparent background in a software that supports transparency. I would not know how the export settings look in Toon Boom and I suggest you ask your questions in the Toon Boom official forum if it has one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So please, how do I export from Toon Boom Harmony and get my drawings to stay in seperate layers?!

You don't. You would have to upgrade to their professional plans. Layered exports are not supported in the Essentials version, at least what I gather from their product info. Nothing to do with AE, really.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What file would it need to be exported as, so i know what im looking for in their plans?  And would it be any easier, or even possible, for me to switch to photoshop and transfer my content from toon boom to photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently they support EXR output, including layers, but not native PSD output. Anyway, all this is just based on what I'm reading. I've never used any of those tools myself.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE supports Photoshop files with seperate layers, so would you happen to know if its possible to transfer the files from toon boom harmony to photoshop, so I could then transfer them to AE, or would I just be facing the same situation since its not the native PSD output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines