• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can you remove the extension (.jpg .tiff) from the filename in bridge?

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my issue.   I am uploading photos to my website and in order for the name of the photo to be imported it must be in the TITLE section of the metadata, but most of the photos I have and get only have a filename.   I have found a script that will put the filename in the title section of the metadata, but the problem is filenames contain the extension (.jpg, .tiff, .raw etc etc).   while i can manually remove that extension i am dealing with hundreds of images and there are more each month so i am trying to find a solution to remove the extensions from the filenames OR remove the extension from the title metadata field automatically.  

I work on adobe photoshop CS6 and i use a Mac with the latest OSx .    I have searched far and wide and have not been able to find any solution to this or even discussion so any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Krogh's 'Filename to Title' Bridge script will do this with a modification. You can download the script here:

DAM Useful | Pimp My Bridge: Adding cool stuff to Adobe CS2 Bridge

You'll need to make this script modification to insert filename without extension:

Filename to IPTC Title, but without extension. (Currently using DAM script)

I haven't tried it, but guessing it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I'd try it out. Works just fine, batch or single.

After you unzip "FilenametoTitle", open the folder,

Double-click on setfilenametotitle.jsx and you get this dialog:

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 6.14.17 PM.png

Click on No to edit the script.  You will see this dialog:

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 6.12.10 PM.png

Select  md.Title = thumb.name;  and replace it by copying/pasting this line:  md.Title = decodeURI(thumb.name).replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');

Save the script and exit the editor.

The rest is simple. Follow the instructions to get the script and all three Adobe Library.jsx files into the Bridge scripts Startup folder.

Restart Bridge, give permission to the new scripts and it should be in the menu. Filename will be written to the IPTC IIM and IPTC Core Document Name fields without the file extension. The Filename and extension is not touched.

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 6.25.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brianm67657449 wrote:

Here is my issue. I am uploading photos to my website and in order for the name of the photo to be imported it must be in the TITLE section of the metadata, but most of the photos I have and get only have a filename. I have found a script that will put the filename in the title section of the metadata, but the problem is filenames contain the extension (.jpg, .tiff, .raw etc etc). while i can manually remove that extension i am dealing with hundreds of images and there are more each month so i am trying to find a solution to remove the extensions from the filenames OR remove the extension from the title metadata field automatically.

I work on adobe photoshop CS6 and i use a Mac with the latest OSx . I have searched far and wide and have not been able to find any solution to this or even discussion so any help would be appreciated.

You better be certain that you need to remove the file extensions because doing so will make all your files unrecognizable and you say you have hundreds of them so this is worrying.

All websites that link images require file name and file extension otherwise it won't know how to handle it.  I suggest ask in the Dreamwaver forum to get a second opinion as you don't want to destroy all your images so quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

What Web framework are you using ? (wordpress or else) ?

If Wordpress see : Image Meta Data 101 – Title, Caption, Alt Text, and Description

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines