• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple movement / transformation possible? How?

Engaged ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

there seems almost nothing you can't do with Character Animator (ChAn), but…

I can't seem to find is a solution for the simplest of animations: A meagre movement or transformation of a puppet or subpuppet from A to B or from "small" to "large", etc.

In AE or Pr. Pro I'd add a transformation keyframe at the starting point and then add a second keyframe at the endpoint and there move or scale (or whatever) the thing, and this'd create a simple smooth transition.

Since there are no keyframes in ChAn (yet…?), I can't do that. There are possibilities to move the "thing" around with draggers or whatever, but not really efficient nor does it even grant me the smooth result I'd need for, say, some clouds to move in the BG.

Am I missing out on s.th. or is it not yet possible to do this?

Thank you…

P.S.: I've, of course, tried to find an according thread in this forum but I didn't find one. If there is one please just post the link here and I'll delete this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

You can create a take that represents a constant value, then use take blending to transition between the take's value and the underlying parameter value.  Try this: 

1. Import a puppet into a scene.
2. Select the puppet in the scene and disable recording for all of the behaviors in the project panel.

3. Reveal the Transform behavior's parameters and enable recording for the Scale parameter.

4. Set the value of Scale to zero.

5. Use the Timeline->Record 1-Frame Take menu command to create a Scale ta

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keyframing would be great, but until that happy day I think the only way to animate transformations is to change the transformation property while recording. That is, enable recording on the scale, start recording, then change the scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can create a take that represents a constant value, then use take blending to transition between the take's value and the underlying parameter value.  Try this: 

1. Import a puppet into a scene.
2. Select the puppet in the scene and disable recording for all of the behaviors in the project panel.

3. Reveal the Transform behavior's parameters and enable recording for the Scale parameter.

4. Set the value of Scale to zero.

5. Use the Timeline->Record 1-Frame Take menu command to create a Scale take that represents the zero scale value.

6. Set the value of Scale back to 100% (click the x next to the control to reset it).

7. Zoom in the timeline to view your take and extend its out point to make it longer.

8. Select the Transform Scale take, zoom out and drag the right blend handle (a square with a diagonal highlight) to the far left.

9. As you look at the take, it visually displays that the start of the take will use the take's value (0%) and the end will use the default value (100%).

You'll be able to apply this pattern to Position X, Position Y, Rotation, Opacity and lots of other behavior parameters as well.

Let me know if you get stuck by any of these steps and whether you have questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines