Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to allocate memory error when face tracking AE CC2017

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have the latest updated version of After Effects CC 2017 and I'm having a very consistent issue when trying to use the tracker to track facial data.

Every time I run the face tracker (using the detailed features setting), it gets though about 47 seconds of footage and then stops with the following error:

"Unable to allocate enough memory to render the current frame (3840x2160 @ 8 bpc).  Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12805)."

I've already tried purging the memory and disk cache, but the result is the same.  I've also tried it on two different computers with the same results.  

My system:

Windows 7 64-bit

Intel core i7-4930 @ 3.4 ghz

32 gigs of ram

Any ideas what's going on here?  Any workarounds?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Unable to allocate enough memory to render the current frame (3840x2160 @ 8 bpc).  Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12805)."

seems like this rendering process is draining you memory pretty fast. maybe face tracking on 4k has it's limits and 47 seconds is not so short for a track...let's try this first: try leaving more memory for Ae under preferences->memory by reducing the RAM reserved to other applications. even try 0. if this does not work try checking reduce cache size when system is low on memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  I tried both of those solutions and still ended up with the same result.  So it sounds like what you're saying is AE just isn't up to the task of face tracking longer stretches of video? 

I was hoping to create something where I was regularly face tracking 5-10 minute long videos... but it sounds like AE just isn't going to be an option?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was hoping to create something where I was regularly face tracking 5-10 minute long videos... but it sounds like AE just isn't going to be an option?

5-10 minutes is very very long in terms of VFX shot. is this one shot 5-10 minutes? because if it's not you could divide it between separate compositions and even projects.

as for Ae's not up for this task - I am not sure. we need to consider the specific setup, personally I haven't dealt with face tracking 4k for longer than a few seconds. you also have 8GB RAM which is not so much in terms of heavy memory processing required for this. one last thing I would try is using the secret menu to purge memory every frame: https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/navigating-effects-secret-menu/ try following the explanations here and see how it goes.

another thing is to try and isolating the problem: how about if you try it at 2k? does it work then?

maybe reconverting your video to some other codec? try rendering your video to Quicktime Animation which is a lossless codec and not resource heavy like probably your source compressed footage (I am guessing). try a different Ae version like 2015.3.

this could be a bug too. anyways, report back to us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  One correction: I have 32GB of memory, not 8GB.

I'll try the suggestions you mention and report back....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I am using HD footage for this and haven't been able to get past 30 seconds before AE crashes citing not enough memory.

I want to use the points for a project in Character Animator which requires the face tracking points but not the underlying footage. Is there a way to collect this information without being so hard on the system? Possibly rendering the footage in a different format?

I am quite new to video editing so I really don't know what would be the best way to tackle this.

My system is running:

Windows 10 64 bit

Core i7 3.5 GHz

16GB of Ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi mrlukehill,

Were you able to solve this issue? If so, how?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines