• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Install on Secondary Drive

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone. Hope you're well. My brother made me a computer for Christmas. Yippee. But, I'm running into a quandary. My current computer has a big 2TB C drive so I've put all of my programs as well as docs/pics etc. on there.  This new computer has an SSD drive that is only a little over 100GB and then there is an internal D drive that has 2TB.  I've never installed programs like Premiere and AE on any drive except my main drive.  Is this going to be as simple as me telling the install to go to D drive, or am I going to run into problems if I do that and will they even function properly if they're not on the main drive? And sorry if this is a slightly non-Adobe question, but I have other design and recoding software that I also need to re-install, will they be OK going to a non-main drive? Any info or thoughts is appreciated. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can depend on which programs are involved.

For permanently licensed software you should be able to select the install destination as part of the installation steps.

For Creative Cloud: Change Install Location for Applications

With the CC application opened, choose the little gear icon in the upper right corner and then choose Preferences.  In the Preferences screen select Creative Cloud and then look for the Install Location drop down

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, will it work properly? That's my main issue. I've never experienced something like this. I'm used to a C drive being at least 500GB so now that I have so little to work with, I'm confused as to what can and can't go into the SSD. Right now I'll need to install CS5.5 Master Suite which I have the installation discs for and then I'll be installing Premiere CS6 and CC from my creative cloud account.

What is my best option for installing? Should I install all of these on my SSD or my 2nd drive and if I install on the 2nd drive, would they still work properly?  I'm also very worried about other programs even basic ones like Word and Video Recoding software and whether those need to go on the SSD or if they can on the 2nd drive or if they won't work on the 2nd drive.

Any thoughts on that is very appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

once you move program files outside the c drive you can expect some problems.  i've done it before and it was a mess.  with some programs some users have done ok.

you should put all your non-program/non-os files on your d drive.

here are the guidelines, though: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

p.s. some older adobe programs wouldn't recognize hd's greater than 1tb as having enough disk space for installation.  if that happens you'll need to partition that drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Thanks so much. That makes a lot more sense. I think, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I'll go ahead and install my old master suite into the SSD and then I'll download my CS6 and CC app from Creative Cloud and also install those into the SSD. I'll then use the 2TB drive for library stuff(docs, pics, etc.) and I suppose preview files and media cache. Think that sounds OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes, that's what i do.  everything that's an executable (but not portable) i install on my c ssd drives.  everything else (downloaded files, installation files, files created by my executables etc) is saved outside the ssd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines