• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom edit in - Photoshop not working for RAW 5ds files

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently performed updates for cc apps including photoshop ver. 2017.0.0 ,  lightroom ver. 2015.8, and camera raw ver. 9.8. I can import images from camera just fine to my lightroom catalog. I usually import RAW files from Canon 5ds along with a small jpeg of the same image. Editing in lightroom performs as expected for RAW files, however when I right click > edit in> photoshop cc 2017 it will open photoshop but not the file. I do not get the dialog box with the three options, edit with lightroom adjustments, edit original, etc... I have uninstalled and reinstalled both applications and I have also tried starting photoshop first before opening images in lightroom. I'm running Mac os Sierra ver. 10.12.1 on my mac pro. As I'm writing this I'm contemplating getting a different camera to see if different RAW files would work. The small jpeg's work as expected when choosing the edit in photoshop option. Any help is appreciated. If you need more info please ask.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Finally found a different discussion that had the same issue and there was a fix. The answer came from adobe support. When using external drives for catalogs it creates an issue with "edit-in" external editor sometimes. Not sure why. I had to disconnect external drives and load an image using import feature from local disk and choose edit in photoshop. This time it worked. Re connected external drive. Imported images including raw files. Chose edit in photoshop and still continues to work. Solut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please refer this article Edit In command doesn't open your image in Photoshop | Mac OS  and let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying to my post. I followed the steps outlined in the article. There is no change to the way the application is performing. I did try a different raw file from a canon 6d. The problem was the same.

More specifically after testing several files. Jpeg, Tiff, & Psd files will open the dialog box - edit with lightroom adjustments, edit a copy and edit original. If I choose edit with lightroom adjustments it opens photoshop but no image shows. If I choose edit a copy or edit original it works as expected.

If I try a RAW file or DNG it simply opens photoshop and no image shows. No dialog box appears.

I'm kind of at a loss. I just started using this computer and lightroom. Lightroom worked on my older system just fine that was running yosemite however the 5ds files would not work with lightroom 5.7. It said I needed to update to a newer version but my hardware made it impossible to use Mac os Sierra thus there was no further updating lightroom at this point. Hope this helps with diagnosing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I understand why you referred me to that article however I don't have time machine set up And everything was a fresh install. There was no migration of an older MAC either. While working with Lightroom I did set up catalogs on different drives but the applications stayed in the user directory where they were put when downloaded. I've read that some have had success downloading photoshop first then Lightroom and that is what I did. I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that it will work for jpegs if I choose edit a copy or edit original but not edit with adjustments. That tells me it knows how to find photoshop but can only handle certain files appropriately. any help is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your Preferences>External editing settings? Post a screenshot here.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 5.28.47 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do a quick check from the menu bar for each app to ensure that everything is compatible

Launch Lightroom

Help >> System Info

Lightroom version: CC 2015.8 [ 1099473 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Launch Photoshop

Help >> System Info

Adobe Photoshop Version: 2017.0.0 20161012.r.53 2016/10/12:23:00:00 CL 1094006  x64

Photoshop CC >> About Plug In >> Camera Raw

Press esc key to close Camera Raw pop-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 5.31.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 5.31.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 5.32.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue under Win 10. I just updated both LR and PS to the latest versions (plus Camera Raw) and now the Edit in PS screen with the 3 options is not available anymore. I have my PS editing set to PSD file format in LR but PS opens the CR2 raw image of Canon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file name changes to PSD after you save your Photoshop work.

Use Ctrl+S (save & overwrite the LR rendered PSD)

Then use Ctrl+W to close and update the LR Library Thumbnail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. However the option which allowed me to choose from the 3 options is still missing. I had them before the update back at the beginning of November. Was that removed with the latest updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those options should only appear when editing a pixel file e.g. jpeg or a PSD/tiff file either flattened or with layers. For raw files your PSD is rendered based on your pref settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I object that. During the course of November I used exactly the same workflow that I use now and at that time I had the options to choose from. It changed with the recent updates of LR, PS and ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that same workflow on my older macpro running LR 5.7, camera raw 8.7 and PS 2017.0.0

I had been in the process of switching from Aperture to LR and realized that I would need a hardware upgrade along with the purchase of the canon 5ds. Typical LR workflow would be import images, make adjustments, edit in PS if needed and all was well. Purchased new mac pro, came with OS Sierra, Downloaded LRcc and PScc, set up catalog and started loading images via import. Made adjustments and then...  edit in photoshop feature not working properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Lightroom 6 Help file.   Same as what 99jon said.  Its EXACTLY the same in the Lightroom 5 Help file.

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 9.48.52 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Lightroom and Photoshop are both current and up-to-date that message doesn't need to appear when editing raw files. The changes you make in Lightroom are all correctly interpreted by Camera Raw when the image transfers to Photoshop. There isn't any need to create the TIF or PSD file first. That file is created at the end of the Photoshop session. When camera raw is older and not in sync with Lightroom, that is when the message will appear when working with raw files. The reason it appears then is that Camera Raw may not correctly and fully interpret the transition from Lightroom the Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep that's right and I used to have a discussion thread for my specific problem 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems that I skipped over the part where the image doesn't open in Photoshop. I think this is a Mac/Sierra issue, and I don't have any answers because I don't use the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Finally found a different discussion that had the same issue and there was a fix. The answer came from adobe support. When using external drives for catalogs it creates an issue with "edit-in" external editor sometimes. Not sure why. I had to disconnect external drives and load an image using import feature from local disk and choose edit in photoshop. This time it worked. Re connected external drive. Imported images including raw files. Chose edit in photoshop and still continues to work. Solution was to use local disk for import and edit in feature and somehow this corrected the work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines