• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6.8 vs Mark IV RAW Files

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have upgraded and now have LR 6.8 and Camera Raw 9.8.  It still won't recognize my Mark IV RAW files.  Do I have to do something to the program to make it work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

The Canon 5D Mark IV has been supported since Lightroom 6.7.

Confirm the exact version of Lightroom you are running.

In Lightroom, click Help (Win) or Photoshop Lightroom (Mac) > About Photoshop Lightroom. Which version is shown?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presume you shoot Canon EOS-

Can you expand on "Won't recognize"- Any error messages, blank screen? etc-

Is Lightroom not seeing photos in the Import window.

Are you using USB cable camera to computer?

Are you using a card reader to computer?

Can you import photos from a folder on the hard drive after copying them from camera card?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys.  Yes, as stated, I am using 6.8 and RAW 9.8  That is from my Lightroom "About" from "Help".

I have subdirectories in my library that are arranged by date.  Those subdirectories contain both RAW files and the identical JPEGs.  I also have some subdirectories with nothing but RAW files.  Lightroom displays the JPEGs but will not display the RAW photos.  Those subdirectories that contain nothing but RAWs won't even appear in the Library.

Lightroom "sees" the RAWs and Imports them - but then ceases to recognize them.  When you leave the Import screen, from that point on, they cease to exist for Lightroom.  I can repeat the Import with the exact same results except there will now be 2 identical files, both of which disappear after the import screen is left (closed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Dual Pixel Raw enabled - available with Full Raw, or Raw+Jpeg (not mRaw or sRaw)

If so DPR should be displayed on the LCD panel.

This doubles the file size and images can only be processed in Canon’s DPP software.

I’m shooting full Raw with the 5DmkIV and all is working well in the latest version of LR. Try a test by shooting a few new CR2 files and import into LR.

Working with Canon Dual Pixel raw CR2 files in Camera Raw and Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that tip.  No, I have Dual Pixel Raw disabled.  Don't need those file sizes for too little benefit!  🙂

(I double-checked this at your suggestion.  I'm desperate for a solution to this "glitch")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the raw files CR2 or converted to DNG?

Are the files on an external drive or NAS?

Any unusual characters in the file path e.g. extra periods, dots or other unusual symbols?

Does it make any difference if files are added to a single folder (without sub-folders) on the internal drive and then imported using “Add” instead of “Copy” ?

Are preferences for sidecars set to “treat jpeg & raw as separate files” ?

Has your computer operating system been updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom "sees" the RAWs and Imports them - but then ceases to recognize them.  When you leave the Import screen, from that point on, they cease to exist for Lightroom.  I can repeat the Import with the exact same results except there will now be 2 identical files, both of which disappear after the import screen is left (closed).

This sounds like you (accidentally) imported the photos using the COPY option instead of the ADD option. If that's what you did, the photos are indeed in Lightroom, in a different folder than they were originally, Lightroom only knows about them in the folder you (accidentally) told Lightroom to copy them into.

Click on All Photographs, turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice) and then search for one of these RAW photos by file name. Do you find them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys are great.  Let me answer all these questions:  (?)

I just had to delete a very long answer to dj_paige and 99jon.  Then I discovered I was wrong on a number of fronts.  Let me do some work (re-work), and get back to you.  There may be a solution in these two responses.  I don't know (yet) the term "sidecars" (will surely find this in a few min) and not familiar (yet) with "treat jpeg and RAW as separate files".  And, I will try using "Add" instead of "Copy".  I've never paid much attention to this (for years), but my normal procedure of importing may have changed itself.

One of my biggest annoyances with Lightroom is how it changes my preferences, frequently, without being told.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I hope you find the answer in your further research. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, It seems to be working properly now, though I am still suspicious of the program's erratic behavior (at least apparently erratic).  I "believe" the problem was that on the Import page, the first choice "into subfolder" was not selected.  (Believe me, I did not de-select that - another case of Lightroom changing established selections, maybe in this case due to the version update).  Why that fixed all the other problems I don't understand.  So, I ,may be back for more info if this devolves to previous behavior.  But:

Interestingly, on my import page, it will not allow me to select "Add".  It will only allow "Copy" and "Copy as DNG".  Any idea the cause of that?

Since acquiring the Mark IV, I have been using DPP to convert the RAWs to TIFFs, then processing the TIFFS.  Since my memory cards were full, I manually copied my RAWS to the hard drive to save them and allow formatting of the CF and SD cards.  This juggling of photo formats and methods has definitely caused frustration, thanks to my 66 years of memory loss.

Thanks so very much for your assistance, folks.  I am not sure I would have ever got this straightened out without your help!  Have a good day and Merry Christmas!

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only select ADD when the files are already on a hard disk. You can't select ADD if the photos are on a camera card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to hear you got things going Mike. Normally "copy" will be invoked when connecting a camera or card reader with an SD or CF card. "Add" should be used if the files are already in a folder system; either on the internal drive or and external drive/NAS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines