Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

my Canon 7d will not tether

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

I have a canon 7d and a rebel T5i. I have been trying to tether them in light room but it simply states no camera detected.

the Canon auto import and eos utility 2 pop up when the camera is connected so I know it is not the usb cable. my camera won't operate and simply sates busy the window with the light for the CF card constantly going.

I have tethered cameras before without issue. I am unsure where the issue is...the camera or lightroom.

i tried it with both JPG and Raw settings

I amusing Lightroom 5 and a MacBook pro with OS Sierra.

thank you for your time

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the EOS Utility has grabbed ahold of the camera, then LR cannot. Exit any Canon software that be trying to interact with the camera and see if LR can, then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you getting back to me... that was the first thing I did. During my google search for help that suggestion was made

thanx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to clarify the exiting of EOS capture was tried but did not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next question:  what version of LR are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am using Lr 5.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could it be the firm ware on my camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The firmware wouldn't be the problem for both of them.  The 7D is tetherable from LR 3.0 onward on Windows.  The T5i from LR 5.2.  If by 7D you mean 7D mark II, then you'd need LR 6.0/CC 2015.0 or newer:  A list of cameras that can be tethered to Lightroom.

See if there is still a Canon program running in the System Messages are at the right of the task bar, even if the EOS Utility main screen isn't visible.  Basically you can't have any other program trying to use the camera otherwise it'll block LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for getting back to me I ran the program to find out if anything is running in the background I might not know on my computer. nothing was.

I definitely have the 7d not the mark II. And Lr 5.7.

should the camera be on a special setting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know much about macs to know how to find what background programs might be running.  Does the Mac OS or one of the built-in apps grab ahold of the camera to download pictures from it instead of letting LR use it, so Photos-type app?

I know that no Nikon and no Leica cameras will tether to LR version older than 6.4 with a Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan) or newer.  It's possible that Canon's have some problem, too, by now.

You might try downloading and installing LR 6 (.0) then update with the LR 6.8 patch and run it as the CC trial to see if the cameras work any better, there.  If so then that might be the solution.  If not, then something is blocking any LR from talking to the camera.

Install Photoshop Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On the Mac, cmd-tab will show all the running programs.  Cmd-opt-esc will let you force quit anything that is running, if you really have to.

In the bad old days, a Canon (I had a Rebel XT), would not be recognized if connected directly to the computer, but LR was able to pick it up & import files.  Apparently this changed with LR5.2.  Whether tethering behaves the same as connecting to upload images, I've no idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines