• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quickly Disable All Effects for Preview?

Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to quickly disable / enable all effects in a sequence for previewing?

[Changed the correct answer as in the meantime the feature has been added. Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Solution is available! Even though this thread was from forever ago, I thought I would try to help save anyone else time and frustration!

For anyone searching on the internet like I was in the version of Premiere CC 17 for how to turn off all effects for preivew purposes. Our prayers have been answered! I can't tell you Adobe how grateful I am for this little feature finally.

To gain this feature click the plus symbol in your program window to add the icon for the "global effects Mute" that looks

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short of removing them all, no. You could duplicate your sequence, remove all the effects on that version (select all clips, Clip > Remove Effects), and use it for preview. You'd have to repeat this if you need to tweak the edits in the original. Sort of a herpy-derpy way to do it, but that's about the best you could do with the features at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who is that strange, faceless man? I heart Jive...

Anyway, this would actually be a good feature request (and I'm going to make it, but you should join me): perhaps a Timeline Panel toggle switch to enable and disable rendering of applied effects. I don't think this should apply to fixed/intrinsic effects, like Motion or Opacity, but for anything else you can add from the Effects panel, it would be a helpful option to disable those en masse at once.

Here's the place to do that: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I've recently transitioned to Premiere from Sony Vegas, and 1-click Global Effects Enable/Disble for previewing is a great Vegas feature. It truly improves the workflow for editors who don't want to save all the color correction and other tweaks for the final steps.

I'm loving Premiere though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround.

Use the Remove Effects option on the clips (select or lasso multiple clips)

View timeline and then go one step back in history.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you, Tim. Switched from Vegas Pro two weeks ago and I'm glad I did. Yes, there are a few minor things I miss in Vegas, but overall I'm really happy with Preimere CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 11, 2011 Apr 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that the being to turn off effects for all open sequences would be helpful. I am working in a multicam project where the color effects are applied to separate sequences (takes) and not in the final multicam combinded edit sequence. Turning them all off quickly would really improve workflow in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2011 Apr 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next time, you may want to consider doing your multicam edit first, and then adding your effects later.  (For this very reason.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2014 Dec 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is when your client ask for changes in an already finished version, that is why you  have color correction and it would be handy to turn off the effects without deleting it 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2015 Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed.

we need this.

today I want to give Timecode burn-in for time-of-day as shot (to correlate with producers notes).   once I get through my first "clean" render, I'd love to re-apply the TC for low-res content approvals in the future.   currently, this is a pain to re-apply the TC filter to all my video clips for each low-res re-render.   would love the feature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, zee Doppleganger Colin... I've been warned about him.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be a great feature. I've been searching around to find out how to do it. Sad to here it's not possible. I usually add effects near the end of the process, but we he some really long clips (a dance show) that are getting cut up, so I did the basic colour correction first, before chopping up the clips. For the rest of the editing process the playback is going to be choppy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should still do CC work after editing.

And with Adjustment Layers now in CS6, you can apply one ore more effects across a whole range of clips, and then turn them on and off with the layer switch (eyeball).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2013 Dec 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really surprised there is no effects toggle at master level (it is in AE - I know, I know this is an NLE that is a compositing tool argument).

I completed a project but the client has asked for some changes now.

I am working with Multiple nested sequences and at my root multicam sequence I have applied Denoiser on the footage. Stabilizer at the 2nd level and so on.

It is a scary thought to re-edit be it doing it with effects on & at 1/4 res. (will be slow) or "disabling" effects by duplicate & remove techniques suggested.

Will definitely make a wish for this and hope this is catered to ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 04, 2014 Sep 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We STILL need this. Yes, I do all CC after the final edit but clients have a way of coming back and making changes, which makes this a tedious process at best. Especially on a long edit. None of these workarounds really help very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like @Thrill Media said, we do still need this feature. When the client comes back several months after completion with another edit, I need the ability to quickly preview what's going on. I'm just finishing up a project like that this morning, and it was painfully slow on the timeline because of the effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

figured out a great way to do this with adjustment layers that takes under a minute to setup.. once your edit is somewhat locked down and youre ready to grade, on a single track, stretch one adjustment layer across the top of your edit. hit home to start at frame one and use the down arrow (shortcut for go to next/previous cut edit point of all clips) to move to the first cut of the sequence then hit "cmd k" (add edit) or whatever your personal shortcut is  to "add edit" to cut the adjustment layer, continue hitting down then command k until the adjustment layer has precisely the same cuts all the way across as your edit. this sounds like a pain but its not, very mindless, fast and easy.. once youre done, select any individual adjustment layer along with the clip beneath it and command L to link them..this will make the clip and its adjustment layer moveable as one entity. do all of your heavy effects and color grading on the adjustment layers above the clips. then a month later when the client comes back with changes, no sweat, just disable the adjustment layer track, make your edit changes then turn it back on and render out. this workflow requires you to be more organized on your sequence but will save your butt in the end

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2014 Oct 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

awesome step-bu-step hard to find.  but it seems 'adjustment layers' are a very limited bandaid/workaround aka not a solution if one can't isolate a layer to each video/cam track on timeline.

how can i make an adjustment layer only effect 1 video/cam source individually and ignore others? : ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

producers/users need ability to selectively disable/re-enable one or more video effect across all clips in ppcc with a checkbox dialog of all 'fx' in the project

Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

ppcc users need a simple checkbox/button feature (like AE+Vegas have) to turn effects on/off quickly without adjustment layers (similar to 'delete effects' dialog but only to bypass/re-enable 'fx').  the feature would ideally line item all video effects incl. motion and opacity and allow an editor to selectively turn on/off each 'fx' with checkboxes.

re adjustment layers

if 'adjustment layers' can't provide a level of control per individual video tracks on the timeline, then 'adjustment layers' are a bandaid/workaround limited to camera 1.

adjustment layers hit a wall if what Todd Kopriva says is accurate: "an adjustment layer is a layer to which you apply effects, those effects are then applied to the composite of all the layers underneath in the layer stack."  because if this is true, then i can only control effects to video/cam 1 in isolation. if all other video/cameras are stacked onto cam1, how can adjustment layers allow me to control each camera in isolation vs effect all layers in the stack?

if there is no way to isolate adjustment layers to each video/camera track on the timeline, then adjustment layers is not "a viable solution" that ppcc producers/users need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feel free to fill out a Feature Request form & send them in ... they do actually read them & ponder on contents. This has been asked before, especially as Ae has such and it works slick.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

submitted.  thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put one in myself ... yea, this would be a handy one.

neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2015 Feb 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I and about 20 people I know have been asking for this for over 10 Years. It's utterly insane that it doesn't exist.  But then again Adobe never seem to actual listen to people feature requests. They make a big show about it but every year we get things we never asked for and never get used. They look really cool in the demos but in real footage often shaky as.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2015 Feb 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well ... I wouldn't say they never listen to people's requests. They've responded to a couple I've howled about ... but not to a few others I've howled about. They do take the bug/feature request lists in part of the decision making project, but the unfortunate thing is the person making the Ultimate Decision doesn't take my personal views as Rule of Law. Wish it weren't so ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just love reading these threads that were started 4 or 5 years ago and continue to beg for a basic feature, and still today, no help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines