Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Performance CC with new Macbook Pro 2016

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everybody

I'm thinking about buying the new Macbook Pro 15", mostly for using Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects). Unfortunately I found out that my old computer couldn't keep up with the performance especially editing videos in After Effects was very upsetting.

I cant decide between the following two options because I really dont wanna waste money for hardware components I don't really need to work with.

Option 1:

• 15,4" Retina Display mit 2880 x 1800 Pixel
  • 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7 (Quad Core) Prozessor mit 6MB/L3-Cache
  • 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (On‑Board)
  • 512 GB Flash-Speicher
  • Radeon Pro 450 mit 2 GB GDDR5, Intel HD Graphics 530

For 2.481,00 CHF (Currency in Swiss Francs)

Option 2:

• 15,4" Retina Display mit 2880 x 1800 Pixel
  • 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7 (Quad Core) Prozessor mit 6MB/L3-Cache
  • 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (On‑Board)
  • 1 TB Flash-Speicher
  • Radeon Pro 460 mit 4 GB GDDR5, Intel HD Graphics 530

For 3.042,00 CHF (Currency in Swiss Francs)

I'd be very thankful for Inputs or any information which could be helpful for my decision!

Maybe some of you are already using the new Macbook Pro for the same reason, maybe you could give me a little Feedback (Performance with CC in general)

Thanks for your help.

Patric from switzerland

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Sorry, but without knowing the other applications and media you will be using, and the kinds of projects you will be making, it would be unwise to make a recommendation.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but without knowing the other applications and media you will be using, and the kinds of projects you will be making, it would be unwise to make a recommendation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go with the most storage and most ram you can afford.

One thing that worries me about your post:

... my old computer couldn't keep up with the performance especially editing videos in After Effects was very upsetting.

I don't know anyone with experience that uses After Effects for Editing Video... You should be using a non linear editor. The only thing you should be doing in AE is applying visual effects of motion graphics to individual shots that you can't do in your NLE. AE was never designed as a video editor. It's lousy at the job and none of the underlying architecture in the app was ever designed to function as a video editor. 90% of my AE comps are 7 seconds or less. Many of them have very complex structures and are layered with dozens of effects. It is not uncommon for me to create a comp that takes up to a minute a frame to render. I kind of draw the line at seven minutes per frame. Of course you can do simple things in AE and I have done several projects that take an average of just a few seconds a frame to render, but those are the exception.

On occasion you can efficiently work on short sequences in AE but it's a good idea to limit your sequences to a single line of dialogue or a single phrase in your music track.

My portable is the previous generation of MacBook Pro R 15 that is fully loaded. I plan on keeping it until January, when my Apple Care is half gone, selling it and ordering a new fully loaded MacBook Pro R 15. The total out of pocket will by about what it would cost for a middle of the line PC laptop because Mac's maintain a very high resale value if you are wise about your upgrades and plan your hardware purchases with the help of a solid business plan. It's all about the $$$ to me. Over the last 12 years I've spend about 1/4 as much keeping my Mac hardware current and running as I have spent on my PC's, so my recommendation, if you want to stick with Mac is to buy the most powerful one you can afford, then add on Apple Care and when you are about half way through your Apple Care program trade up. If history can be relied on will be money ahead in the long run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I got classes in photoshop and I'm learning editing in premiere at the moment. AE was just a little  "trying out" the application but im fascinated of the unlimited possibilities in AE so I want to get used to AE too in the future.

What are your components in your old macbook like? because if the radeon 450 2gb is even with your graphic card it should work to use the applications without the more expensive radeon 460 4gb, do you agree?

thanks for helping me out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer, i'll be mainly using premiere for full HD or 2.7k videos. I'm trying to get some skills in editing videos besides color-correction and stuff. My goal is to be able to add effects and creating a "new video" out of the raw materials inrecorded. In after effects i'm really a beginner but i'd really like to learn working with this application.

So for example a 10min Video (mp4) with 4-5 correction layers should be an easy thing for the new mac..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines