• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lighroom 4: colour changes when import + export of jpeg files Solution?

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lighroom 4, had no problem until recently. I have made no changes,

If I import jpeg files into the catalogue (with no development parameters): the picture have a lack of contrast in the catalogue + colour changes

Exporting jpeg files from the catalogue: the exported photographs have a lack of contrast + colour changes

There is no problem when importing and exporting CAMERA RAW- files, colours and contrast are OK!

This problem appeared recently, I didn't change any settings or make any changes

Lightroom 4 is updated as well as Photoshop CS6,

Could anyone help me in order to fix this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

OK, this is a very simple issue. You're Exporting in LR to JPEG with Adobe RGB Color Space, but "opening" in PS in sRGB Color Space. To fix this you need to enable "Warnings" in PS. Here are the Color Settings I recommend using in PS. I created a 'Settings' preset' with the name 'Lightroom Workflow Warnings On.' Don't expect to see that.....you'll need to make the changes yourself.

When you open a file in PS with other than ProPhoto RGB color profile you'll get the below warning. You can then cho

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your camera's picture style settings, which are only applied to the camera JPEG file. If this has changed the raw when viewed next to JPEG inside LR will look different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The jpeg files I'm talking of don't come from the camera, they are derived from CAMERA-RAW files exported by Lighroom for further treatment with Photoshop CS6.

When importing theses "CS6 - retouched"files into Lightroom colour + contrast changes  appear.

When exporting these jpeg files or older "CS6-retouched" jpeg files, that were previously correctly imported into LR4 (without changes), colour + contrast changes  appear

There is no link with camera settings as i'm shooting CAMERA RAW files only,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest uploading one of the JPEG files to Dropbox or other file sharing site and put the share link in a reply here. When you Export a raw file to JPEG inside LR does that JPEG file look correct BEFORE editing in PS or only AFTER editing it in PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

here is the link to download 2 files

1 jpg LOW RES created by LR6 from CAMERA RAW file

1 jpg LOW RES created by LR6 from HIGH RES file after processing with CS6

https://we.tl/WiPUZrdHZm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If export a RAW file into  High Res JPEG  - it looks correct when I open it in PS

If I import this High Res JPEG file into LR, without processing it in PS, it looks correct

if I open this High Res JEG in PS, after processing it in PS, without import in LR, it looks correct

If I import this High Res JPEG file into LR, after processing it in PS, the colours and contrast are altered in the LR library

I hope you'll be able to understand what I mean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, this is a very simple issue. You're Exporting in LR to JPEG with Adobe RGB Color Space, but "opening" in PS in sRGB Color Space. To fix this you need to enable "Warnings" in PS. Here are the Color Settings I recommend using in PS. I created a 'Settings' preset' with the name 'Lightroom Workflow Warnings On.' Don't expect to see that.....you'll need to make the changes yourself.

When you open a file in PS with other than ProPhoto RGB color profile you'll get the below warning. You can then choose 'Use the embedded profile (instead of the working space).'

JPEG is a lossy file format and TIFF format is a better choice when the file is to be edited in PS. Here's the 'Edit in PS'  settings I recommend for best results. Once you're finished with all of your PS and LR edits you can Export to a JPEG and delete the TIFF file to save disk space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines