• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help fromatting Excel Charts in InDesign

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on an InDesign (2017--subscription based) with a ton of Excel charts. I import and style the charts, apply Paragraph Styles, Table Styles and Cell Styles, but when I update the Excel file, formatting is lost. I've tried importing both .xlsx files as well as an .xls files. Information and column width update, but the type and spans change even though paragraph and cell styles have been selected for all cells. (Preferences are updated to create links when placing text and spreadsheet files.)

HELP!

Melissa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Place them and link them as unformatted tables.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place them and link them as unformatted tables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried AGAIN with the unformatted table option clicked. Made type and cell changes, updated/changed text in Excel Doc and updated in the LINKS panel. STILL not saving the formatting. All cells have character styles and paragraph styles applied and the chart is brought in with a defined Table style.

Am I missing something???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Excel are you using? Are these XLSX or XLS files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doing edits in 2011 for Mac. I've tried saving as both XLS as well as the XLSX. Original files are from a PC running current version--I'm just trouble shooting and testing before we start project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you still have an earlier version of InDesign installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's up to date. I have a CC subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you bring in the Excel file as saved from a Windows machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to work for the basic text, but the merged columns don't hold or translate correct typeface. Deleted rows also reappear. Any advise on these items?

Appreciate your help!!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you’re merging cells and deleting rows/columns in InDesign then this is pretty much what I would expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can have accounting delete columns, but the merged headings are already merged in the Excel file. Any hint on how to accomplish merging cells? Client hoping to take over the final document changes (using InCopy workflow) and I want it to be pretty seamless...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I thought you were merging/deleting in InDesign.

I’m not sure what’s up with this and without seeing the files and really testing it out, I can’t be sure of what’s going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines