• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer order changing during render...

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

During the RAM preview and on the composition, everything looks fine.

When I render my project, there are layers that suddenly change order, putting the one on bottom over others.

This isn't all layers all the time, just a few, and I can't find any pattern. There are no opacity or position changes on these layers. They're 3D, but the Z position doesn't move.

Nothing I do seems to pinpoint the problem, since the composition preview (even at full) doesn't show it. I've changed some render settings to no avail.

Anyone run into this before?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

which I guess tricked After Effects into rendering in the correct order.

It doesn't "trick" anything. The render order just is this way - layer styles are always applied last, including after any motion blur and other stuff. You have to plan for this contingency.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a weird one!  I've never head of that happening.... EVER.  Sadly, we can't help you without a little help:

FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone run into this before?

yes. it's and old Gotcha in After effects. you will probably see this happening in the preview if you turn the master switch for motion blur. your layers are at the same plane but sometimes, and especially as a result of the motion blur, there could be a situation where one will obscure the other back and forth (because they are in the same Z position and sometimes Ae does not know which should be first... not a detailed explanation but that's it).

the solution is set the offending 3d layer a touch closer in Z position. alternatively you could use a trick to disable 3d intersection between these two layers by adding a layer style like drop shadow, and removing the video switch from the actual layer style, leaving only one for "Layer styles".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Drop Shadow trick didn't work for me...the 3D manipulation did for one, but not the other. Was able to solve the problem by putting together some precomps, which I guess tricked After Effects into rendering in the correct order. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

which I guess tricked After Effects into rendering in the correct order.

It doesn't "trick" anything. The render order just is this way - layer styles are always applied last, including after any motion blur and other stuff. You have to plan for this contingency.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, you're talking about the completed animation.  I thought you were talking about the layers in the actual comp.  Never mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines