• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign vs Photoshop Layer Styles?

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does InDesign support asl files, or have anything comparable to Photoshop Layer Styles?

Having just discovered Photoshop Layer Styles, I want to apply similar effects within InDesign (as it handles type so much better!).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

incblotter wrote:

Thanks jane-e and Steve! I'm familiar with the effects panel in InDesign, at least to a fairly basic level.

What I was hoping to achieve was to use the Photoshop Layer Styles (asl files) from this Watercolor bundle directly within InDesign (or find out if InDesign had anything comparable to asl files): https://creativemarket.com/Nickylaatz/260509-The-Mammoth!-Watercolour-Kit

For example, I'd like to quickly create one layer in InDesign and fill it with the paper texture. The nex

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign treats it differently. It has an Effects panel. Effects can be applied to the Object | Stroke | Fill | Text.

You can create an Object Style in the Object Styles panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks jane-e and Steve! I'm familiar with the effects panel in InDesign, at least to a fairly basic level.

What I was hoping to achieve was to use the Photoshop Layer Styles (asl files) from this Watercolor bundle directly within InDesign (or find out if InDesign had anything comparable to asl files): https://creativemarket.com/Nickylaatz/260509-The-Mammoth!-Watercolour-Kit

For example, I'd like to quickly create one layer in InDesign and fill it with the paper texture. The next layer would be for text, and I would like to apply a watercolour style to the type. I'm guessing the best approach is to work between the two programs to achieve the desired result – just wanted to explore the option of bypassing Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

you could perhaps fake something like a layer style if you are working with:

1. Dedicated layers (perhaps intended and applied only for dedicated pages)

2. Placed objects with effects on this layer on every master covering the whole page area

I did this once to very roughly simulate a "gray" representation of my work on a page.

Here a screenshot where I "sandwiched" some layers.

The locked layers contain contents on the masters only.

The layer in the middle contains contents on page 1.

The rectangle filled with swatch "[Registration]" at the top layer with an effect applied is only working in tandem with a rectangle filled with [Paper] stacked below in the background.

Note: Output would be a gray looking CMYK and not in grayscale if a standard PDF/X preset with a CMYK ICC profile is used.

As I said, it's only a fake for screen representation.

All the objects on the locked layers are covering the page area only halfway to show the difference.

View is "Overprint Preview".

SandwichedLayers-Effects-Top-WhiteBackground.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

incblotter wrote:

For example, I'd like to quickly create one layer in InDesign and fill it with the paper texture. The next layer would be for text, and I would like to apply a watercolour style to the type. I'm guessing the best approach is to work between the two programs to achieve the desired result – just wanted to explore the option of bypassing Photoshop.

You're welcome! Thanks for clarifying. You will need to do that in Photoshop and place it into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no equivalence between Photoshop layer styles (which are pixel-based) an InDesign effects (which are applied to objects).

But you can create similar effects with the InDesign Effects panel—drop shadows, inner shadow, outer glow, inner glow, bevel and emboss, satin, basic feather, directional feather, gradient feather

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines