• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

upright vertical not at all

Engaged ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used develop>transform>upright>vertical on 164 pictures auto sync and about 3 were correct.

it took forever too so i left and came back and now i'no further ahead.

lr 1015.7

osx 10.11.6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

I've got the same results Auto-syncing images with Upright.

Whatever adjustment solution is reached by analysing the most-selected image, which delivers the requested Upright option using the content of that, gets also used on the other images as-is - without separately analysing each one, to determine its own dedicated adjustment.

It's the same outcome, as clicking the Sync button at top right of the Transform panel / Upright tab (with multiple pictures selected). 'Works As Designed', I suppose!

S

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell us a little more about your computer. How much RAM? How much free disk space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Jim.

plus a software raid scratch disk 420 GB.

No tight disks.

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 7.05.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know anything about the Mac. My only suggestion would be to disable the GPU processor in Lightroom preferences and see if that makes a difference. Sorry, maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same results Auto-syncing images with Upright.

Whatever adjustment solution is reached by analysing the most-selected image, which delivers the requested Upright option using the content of that, gets also used on the other images as-is - without separately analysing each one, to determine its own dedicated adjustment.

It's the same outcome, as clicking the Sync button at top right of the Transform panel / Upright tab (with multiple pictures selected). 'Works As Designed', I suppose!

So the requested Upright selection is then active on them all, but not yet implemented correctly (except on the most-selected one). One can make it be so on any of these images, by clicking the Update button (with just this picture selected - Update appears instead of Sync). This tells LR to analyse and correct for this image's content.

What seems to work better though - it's the way I do it now - is to save this selection of Upright mode into a Develop preset. I have one preset called "Upright Vertical", another called "Upright Level" etc.

Auto-Syncing the application of that Preset, does cause an individual analysis to go ahead for each picture. Whatever is needed to make each SEPARATE picture become Vertical / Level / whatever has been asked for, in its own terms... then happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you observed, Auto Sync copies the Upright Mode (Auto, Guided, Level, Vertical, Full) and the actual upright transform settings to all the other pics.  

But if you instead do a Sync Settings, or do Copy Settings / Paste Settings, of just Upright Mode:

then LR will recalculate the upright transforms for each photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I wondered about Sync and Paste too. I didn't follow those up, because the OP particularly wanted to know about AutoSync.

Using AutoSync to work on a highlighted set of pictures: turning on an Upright mode in Transform gives the first outcome you describe.

Turning on the exact same Upright mode by using a preset instead - again with AutoSync - gives the second outcome.

I haven't worked out why...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning on the exact same Upright mode by using a preset instead - again with AutoSync - gives the second outcome.

It depends on how you define the preset.  If you select just Upright Mode:

then the preset will contain just the choice of Off, Auto, Guided, Level, Vertical, and Full.  The contents of the preset will look like:

When you apply the preset, it will recalculate the actual upright transformations.

But if also select Upright Transforms when you define the preset, then the calculated transformations for the current photo will also be included in the preset:

When you apply this preset, those transformations (calculated from the original photo) will be applied to the current photo, and the "Update" button will be displayed in the Transform panel to let you recalculate them based on the current image if you want.

At first I found this confusing, but it makes logical sense. The manual describes the behavior, though it's a little out-of-date: Upright automatic perspective correction in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The available controls do indeed make logical sense, yet the OP has identified AutoSync behaviour which is not fully consistent.

When you choose Auto WB, or Auto tone, on a main image while AutoSync is active - the other highlighted images show Auto WB too, or Auto tone. Because that's what you have asked the main image to do, they do just the same.

But they don't receive a copy of the particular WB Temp and Tint values, or the particular tone values, which have incidentally resulted from clicking that button for the main image. They receive whatever individual settings, according to the content of each, constitute an Auto WB or an Auto tone solution for that separate picture, as if the same button had been clicked there.

Which is after all, arguably, what you were seeking with an Auto, rather than a manual, form of adjustment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in the final analysis, what is the efficient way to get each picture to upright transform

based on each picture's own configuration.  I did copy/paste, easy enough.  I dont see how

to apply the preset I made tho.  Further, upon inspecting the contextual menu, which I never

used before, what about this:

What does "new folder" create?  A folder of images with the preset applied?

"apply on import":  isn't it a little too late to try to apply on import since all

the images ARE imported at this point?

"Update with current settings" actually does not update the selection(s) with

the current preset settings, it updates the settings belonging to "import" preset.
"show in finder"  -  How do we show upright in finder??
"export" what?  Export the preset?  This seems an odd place for the over all

export feature.  Same with "import".  If I import from here, does that mean this

particular preset is added to the import?

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 12.43.19 PM.png

OK apply preset in Library module makes this all work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in the final analysis, what is the efficient way to get each picture to upright transform

based on each picture's own configuration. 

My suggestion is, make a preset where you've checked Upright mode, but un-checked any specific transforms.

That forces Lightroom to work out for each image, what transforms that individual image needs.

Or you can Sync or Copy-Paste - making sure that you are only transferring the upright mode and NOT specific transforms.

I did copy/paste, easy enough.  I dont see how

to apply the preset I made tho.

If you have AutoSync active, and click on this preset in the list to apply it to the main image, then it will also be applied to the other images.

Further, upon inspecting the contextual menu, which I never

used before, what about this:

What does "new folder" create?  A folder of images with the preset applied?

No, you can organise your presets into subfolders if you want.

"apply on import":  isn't it a little too late to try to apply on import since all the images ARE imported at this point?

You can set your Import procedure to include the application of a Develop preset (and a Metadata preset) if you want. But that will only affect future imports. It's just for convenience, if you know that all those images will need this preset to be applied by default. I don't think  that can be said, for Upright since there is wide variation as to which mode, if any, suits the photo.

"Update with current settings" actually does not update the selection(s) with

the current preset settings, it updates the settings belonging to "import" preset.

Say you'd made a preset which applied certain settings. Then you applied the preset to a given picture and thought 'on reconsideration, it would be better if this preset applied different settings'. You'd change the picture to those different settings, then use this option to update the content of the preset - to redefine what the preset DOES. 

"show in finder"  -  How do we show upright in finder??

this means, show the PRESET in finder - it's a structured text file. You might want to copy it into another computer so that it could be used there.

"export" what?  Export the preset?  This seems an odd place for the over all

export feature.  Same with "import".  If I import from here, does that mean this

particular preset is added to the import?

This whole menu is all about managing your presets, and has nothing to do with managing your pictures.

regards, RP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you for taking the time to make all these comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines