• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having no luck with Canon 5D Mark IV tethered shooting in Lightroom CC 2015.8

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having no luck with Canon 5D Mark IV tethered shooting in Lightroom CC.

The support page lists the camera as being supported for tethering. Lightroom sees the camera, it comes up as Canon 5D Mark IV, the camera is on and USB cable is connected, click the LR shutter button, nothing happens.

Tethered shooting works fine in Canon EOS Utility 3.

I followed all Adobe's support page instructions for troubleshooting. Removed preferences file, restarted lightroom cc.
Behaves the same.

Maybe I am doing something wrong or maybe there are some bugs in the support for the 5D Mark IV tethered support in LR CC. I had used my 6D tethered in LR 5, I know how it is supposed to work. Any suggestions?

I have talked to someone who has it working with Windows 10.

I am running Windows 8.1 with latest updates.
Adobe Lightroom CC 2015.8 release.

Lightroom sees the camera, just does not see the settings and does not release the shutter when pushing the shutter button. If I pull the USB cable it sees the camera is gone. Really puzzled.

I still have Adobe Lightroom 5.7 64Bit installed on my machine alongside of Lightroom CC 2015.8, but I am trying this with Lightroom CC 2015.8.

I have gone into my preferences folder and removed the preferences files and restarted Lightroom CC 2015.8.

Lightroom sees the camera, just does not see the settings and does not release the shutter when pushing the shutter button. If I pull the USB cable it sees the camera is gone.

I have tried it with memory cards and without memory cards.

This is my screen with the camera connected, you can see LR sees the camera.

Capture LR edited.jpg

Hoping the techs here can help me resolve this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Yes you are right about the EOS Utility interfering with Lightroom, as I normally use Capture One Pro and I don't have any issues I switched to Lightroom and found that I had to kill the EOS utility by clicking on the icon on the taskbar and selecting exit or you may want to kill the process using the Process Manager.

Selecting 'do not start the EOS Utility automatically when a camera is connected' doesn't help because of the components in memory.

The other way you can do it is to use a 'watched f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a memory card in the camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes two of them, CF and SD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also camera set to record both RAW and JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you click the settings button (gear icon) bottom-right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This window opens:

Capture LR dialouge box or window.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the F drive an internal or External drive? Does it make any difference if you use the C: drive?

Can you use the shutter button on the camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F drive is internal SSD, the laptop is an ASUS Rouge gaming computer, dual hard drive bays, both SSD drives, GForce nVidia graphics cards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try quitting LR and re-setting the prefs whilst relaunching.

Hold down the Alt+Shift keys and simultaneously open LR. Keep the two keys depressed for  couple of seconds and then release.

When you see the settings dialog box click the button “Reset Preferences”

Let us know if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

99Jon, I tried that, it is no longer finding the camera. No camera detected. As soon as I plug in the camera EOS Utility 3 starts, if I close it the camera displays a computer on the back window, but Lightroom can't find a camera now. Thanks, though, the ALT Shift at launch is a cool trick and no harm done really. Not like it was working before. lol. I really do appreciate everyone's ideas. I am sure Adobe will get me working.

Wonder if the EOS Utility 3 was messing with LR, but how do other Canon users get around that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a solution?

Help

Canon 5DmkIII

Apple Mac Book Pro

Lightroom 6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KIMj11,

For the Canon 5D mk iv the solution is to disable FTP.
But tethering with lightroom is still a little unstable. If it works it is a little quicker. But the best way is to use the latest EO utility software and choose remote shooting. Then set Lightroom to automatically import files from the folder where EOS utility downloads the images.

This is a little slower but in my case, rarely fails.

With the Canon 5D mk iii I used lightroom tethered shooting but found it also a unstable. From time to time the connection is lost.
If it works with ligthroom 6 I can't tell you. I suppose it depends if the camera is supported properly. I suggest trying to use the same princibple using the EOS-utility software. So far that is the most stable solution for me. It reconnects immediately after the USB cable got disconnected and was connected again (sometimes my extention comes loose while walking around). For me it is the most stable solution. The advantage of the watched folder in Ligtroom is also that in the event photo's are not downloaded (disconnected cable for example) I can quickly use the EOS utility to download the images to the wached folder and they are consequently imported into lightroom.

This works much quicker then importing them to lightroom directly from the camera.

Hope this is of any help to you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you. I appreciate your reply. I will try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried so many things, just in last 10 minutes...tried to get EOS Utility 3 preference to send remote shooting to LR, it is not even detecting the camera now in LR, set EOS Utility 3 back to Digital Photo Professional, but now LR doesn't even detect the camera.

I don't know if the EOS Utility 3 is interfering  with LR, how do other people get around that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you are right about the EOS Utility interfering with Lightroom, as I normally use Capture One Pro and I don't have any issues I switched to Lightroom and found that I had to kill the EOS utility by clicking on the icon on the taskbar and selecting exit or you may want to kill the process using the Process Manager.

Selecting 'do not start the EOS Utility automatically when a camera is connected' doesn't help because of the components in memory.

The other way you can do it is to use a 'watched folder' and use the EOS Utility rather than the Lightroom tethered capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKKDon,

Thanks for that idea on the "watched folder auto import". It is a good workaround that works seamlessly once set up. I use the Canon EOS Utility 3 remote shooting software to shoot and it saves into a folder I had set up as a watched folder through Lightroom. As soon as the photo is taken, Lightroom grabs the photo and moves it into another folder I set up and I can immediately work with the shot in Lightroom.

This will work fine for now. Perhaps Adobe will come out with an update that fixes remote tethering in Lightroom for me, but this is great and gets me up and running.

Thank you and to all who responded trying to help.

Cheers,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tethered shooting with Canon 5d M IV

I seem to have a similar problem.

I have a updated Lightroom CC

Canon 5d M IV

Tethered shooting works if I shoot Jpg but not even a small RAW

I took Canon EOS utility off as it was interfering with things.

I have revisited this problem for months now expecting each new update to fix this problem but nothing yet.

Any help anywhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey man,

So I've been struggling with this for a while now, and also battling with EOS Utilities losing connection all the f****ing time, so I tried shooting without memory cards in the camera and hey presto, everything works. EOS Utilities doesn't crash. LR tethering works perfectly. But it kinda defeats the point of shooting to memory cards as well for redundancy sakes.

I'm actually gonna see if my mkII has this same issue when I get a chance, but anyway. There's a sort of solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the mkII works fine with a card in. No problems. Weird....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Lightroom recognises the camera, (EOS utility diabled) but as soon as I take a picture it seems to work but nothing happens. The camera is disbaled, nothing works. Ik looks as if the image is being transferred but nothing is downloaded. It doens't mattier if I use a special active tether cable of the short USB cable that came with the camera.

The same problem happens with the EOS utility. I manage to use it only once.
Mijn Canon 5d MK III works fine !!

So far no help from Canon, hopelfully some help here of from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just stumbled upon the solution from something mentioned in this thread. Lightroom tether works if you have no memory card in the camera (obviously pointless)... but... if, once it has found the camera without the memory card , you then replace the memory card into the switched on camera (after a few seconds of losing it again) it re-finds the camera with the memory card replaced and you remain tethered. This is a buggy glitch that has been the bain of my life for ages as I must have inadvertently done this before as I have had it work a few times previously after lots of messing around Without knowing what I did to make it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried setting release shutter without card to enable ... not sure about LR but EOS Utilities works with this setting and no card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the samen issue with the Cano D5 mkiv. Tethering simply does nog work on either Lightroom or Canon utility.
But I found that removing bothe memory cards solves the problem. With no memory cards in the camera for the firsttime I managed to comple a day's shooting Tethered without any problems. However, there are some issues. For example, the quick preview on the camera screen is not available. I often use it at after I made some changes, to check the histogram.
Also it takes a little time for the images to be displayed on the computer screen. Several seconds. (depending on the resolution you set your images.

But at least is seems to work. Hopefully A permanent solution will be available soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that transfer to FTP isn't enabled somehow. I had it enabled and it was the cause of all the above mentioned problems. Turned it off and haven't had any problems since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jaylee, you are correct. I switched off FTP and tethereing seems to work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines