• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing in LightRoom 5.7: Where are the destination & file rename settings?

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I get a new computer (new Mac Pro replacing an older Mac Pro Tower), running Sierra - OS X 10.12.1.  I install my purchased LR 5.7.  Now to import some recent images.  It finds the chip, but it wants to send the images to the hard drive, and will not let me select a folder.  Also, it does not show any area where I can change the file names on import.  Under "File Handling" I can (a) build previews, (b) build smart previews, (c) not import suspected duplicates, and (d) send a second copy to a place of my choosing.  Nothing else. 

Where do I tell it the desired destination?

Where do I tell it to add a date to the name, or anything else?  The on-line help function does not seem to discuss LR 5.7.

Yes, I know LR 5.7 is not the latest, that 6.7 is better.  But I have the problem now.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click (which I think is command-click on a MAC) in the middle of the word File Handling, a menu will appear, select Destination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it.  No go, sorry.  (BTW, right-click on a Mac is Ctl-click.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jay_Warner wrote:

Tried it. No go, sorry. (BTW, right-click on a Mac is Ctl-click.)

Delete your preference file.

Preference file and other file locations | Lightroom CC and 6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional information:  On my MacBook Pro laptop (Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan) when LightRoom 5.7.1 is asked to import, it displays 4 topic areas on the right hand side: File Handling, File Renaming, Apply during Import, and Destination.  On the Mac Pro (OS 10.12.1, it shows only File Handling and Application During Import.  My question:  How do I make LightRoom on the Mac Pro show the File Renaming and Destination windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My question:  How do I make LightRoom on the Mac Pro show the File Renaming and Destination windows?" end quote.

In Lightroom for all the Top, Bottom, Left and Right panels if you right click on one of the existing features you will get a drop down menu to select the features to be displayed. See the screen capture.

Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 6.31.06 AM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you have chosen Add at the top of the import dialog.

To make File Renaming and Destination show, choose one of the other options - you probably want Copy.

lr-import.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will only see the File Renaming and Destination folders in the right hand column upon initiating the Import process and as per Berntsen's screen capture shows you have not selected Add. If Add is selected these options are not available because Lightroom is adding them to your catalog from a known source rather than copying them from a flash card, sd card or external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, even in the Copy view. It's been this way ever since I updated to the Lightroom CC 2015.8.Destination.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have no source selected as seen at the bottom of your screen shot. If the Destination doesn't show after you do that then Right click (and YES Mac can right click with either the track pad or most any mouse available today without having to hold down a key on the keyboard) and select Destination from the pop up list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click (Ctrl-click) on the middle of the words "File Handling" and then select Destination from the dropdown list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem.

I found the answer.  In the right hand panel of the Import Screen, right click anywhere underneath any of the options that are appearing.  Therefore, holding down the Control Button, click anywhere underneath the options you see such as File Handling.

A window will popup allowing you to then select what features you want to see.  I clicked on See All.

Screenshot 2017-11-11 17.37.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines