Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workaround: RH7 hangs when opening topics

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2008 Jul 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I didn't turn up any threads about this particular workaround while searching the forums, so I wanted to post this in case other RH7 users are having the problem I was having.

I was experiencing hangs and crashes while opening topics. I would double-click a topic, get the hourglass icon on my mouse pointer, and then RH7 would become totally unresponsive, forcing me to kill the program.

The problem did not happen with all topics, nor did it always happen with the same topics, which made it tough to diagnose.

However, I stumbled upon a workaround. When RH7 hangs while opening a topic, I can get it to "unhang" simply by closing Outlook 2007, which I usually have open at the same time. I just close Outlook, wait a few seconds, and the topic opens in RH7 after a few seconds. I then open Outlook again.

There seems to be some sort of conflict between these two apps, though I have no idea what it could be. In any case, this workaround has saved me lots of hair pulling!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2008 Jul 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

I have never known Outlook cause any issues with RH and I don't think I have seen anyone post to that effect.

Are your projects on your local drive (good) or on a network (bad, except via source control).

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. To answer your question, I keep my projects on my local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open one of the supplied sample projects and see how well they work.

You are working directly on the PC to which RH was installed?

No source control involved?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2008 Aug 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I am working directly on the PC to which RH is installed, and I am not using source control.

I tried the sample projects and had no problems opening topics, though there are also times when I have no problems opening topics in my own project (as I mentioned, the bad behavior doesn't happen consistently).

Maybe certain characteristics of my project are contributing to the problem. The project was converted from RoboHelp X5, for one thing. It's also large (>50MB), and the topics are all in one directory instead of being organized into subdirectories (something I'm hoping to remedy when I have time; I inhereited the project only recently).

Still, I don't see how any of those issues would be overcome simply by closing Outlook. It's pretty odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp