• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ae error message - attempt to alter vaues in an internally damaged shape?

Enthusiast ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In AE CS6 Every time I make a path and then try to put pin tools on it I get the following message and AE crashes - any ideas - many thanks!:

ae error message - attempt to alter vaues in an internally damaged shape?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Path? Pin tools? What has one thing to do with the other? The Puppet tool operates on pixels, not vector data. You have a wrong understanding of the process. For the puppet tool to work properly, any masking stuff you do must be pre-composed and the initial shape when generating the Puppet mesh be consistent and include all bits and bobs that you want to deform.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't you use the pin tool on ahspes? Shape layers? I thought you could - Just bought PuppetTools3 & was trying it out. But maybe this won't work - so thanks Mylenium. I really appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't you use the pin tool on ahspes? Shape layers?

you certainly can but there is a Gotcha though.... since shape layers are collapsed by default you should not use any transform properties of the shape once you apply the puppet and use only the puppet or else you will get funky results . what duik and puppet tools is doing is manipulating just the puppet effect and therefore you won't get funky results. if you want to move it with the transform tools you will have to pre-compose and only then use the puppet tool (as M suggested)

this is from the help files: Animating with Puppet tools in After Effects

Note:

Don’t animate the position or scale of a continuously rasterized layer with layer transformations if you are also animating the layer with the Puppet tools. The render order for continuously rasterized layers—such as shape layers and text layers—is different from the render order for raster layers. You can precompose the shape layer and use the Puppet tools on the precomposition layer, or you can use the Puppet tools to transform the shapes within the layer. (See Render order and collapsing transformations and Continuously rasterize a layer containing vector graphics.)

I was just talking to someone about trying to learn AE - and how great this forum is - and I mentioned you!

Thank you. this community is great and the same way I got help for many years (mostly without saying thanks or being a registered member, but only seeing the answer and following the instructions) now it's my time to give back maybe your day will come too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

n AE CS6 Every time I make a path and then try to put pin tools on it I get the following message and AE crashes - any ideas

please describe your process in more detail step by step so we can try to reproduce it and see what's wrong. full screenshots is a good idea, but firstly, make sure your Ae is up to date - you should be using 11.0.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Roei! I think I'll stop this experiment & step back for a bit. I wanted to learn Duik but found it so complicated that I bought PuppetTools 3, hoping it would be simpler. I'll just poke at it a bit and see if I can figure it out. It is less complicated than Duik but short on instructions. as always - many thanks for your help. On a stack of Bibles - I was just talking to someone about trying to learn AE - and how great this forum is - and I mentioned you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen,

Glad you found the forums helpful. Did these kind folks help you solve your issue? If so, let us know by marking one of their answers as correct. If you are still having trouble, please let us know what issues you are still facing.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Have created a bug report. You can create it every time like this:

1. With the pen tool create a shape with with only two points. A straight line.

2. Give the line a width.

3. Use the puppet tool on the shape layer.

- Wagner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with working directly on a shape layer is that the area available to attach a puppet pin to is defined by at least 3 points. For example, draw a path something like this <  and then increase the stroke to about 100 pixels and when you hover over the path you'll see the available area where you can place a pin.

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 8.06.01 AM.png

Even though the bounding box includes all of the area under the path you can only place pins inside the <. This makes sense to me because the path is rendered before the fill is added so puppet pin doesn't know what to do with the shape if there are only 2 points.  There are no pixels available to use to create a mesh. It makes perfect sense to me.

I'm not saying that it's not a bug, just that I understand why it happens and it makes sense when you look at the rendering order. If you have 3 points not in a straight line then the area described by those 3 points is available for puppet pin. Unfortunately the mesh will only include that area of the layer. Turn on Composite on Transparent and you'll see that only the triangle formed by the 3 points is going to be manipulated by puppet pin. This will put a hole in the artwork.

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 8.24.17 AM.png

The work around is to pre-compose. This will render the pixels of the fill before Puppet Pin is applied. You won't loose the vector edges so animating Puppet Pin will work as expected. You still can't do any transformations on the puppet pin layer without pre-composing again, but at least you can get the job done.

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 8.29.36 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the explaination. Makes sense. At least from a technical view as you also point out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines